Do you have heart for children and education? Do you want to see children improve in their literacy abilities? Reading for Hope aims to be a part of this change through the small act of reading with a child consistently.
**Please note the following criteria:
1. Timewise your commitment would be as follows:
a. Attend a 2.5h training session which includes obtaining a police clearance certificate. The costs of the clearance certificate will be covered by the program.
b. Commit to spend an hour a week with two children, supporting them in their journey to literacy. This would be between the second and second last weeks of the school terms.
c. This comes to two hours a week, including travelling time.
d.Attend one feedback meeting a term.
e. Consent to a WhatsApp announcement group
f. Commit to the program for a whole year
g. Please don’t sign up if you are looking for a job or you foresee your studies will cause you to be too busy for a period longer than 2 weeks in a row.
2. If there are days when you cannot make a session, try to go on another day of the week when there are volunteers going to your school. If this is not possible, ask someone else from your team to double up and take your children with theirs. Failing this, ask Stephy or Sharon to fill in for you.
3. If at all possible, avoid making appointments (such as doctor’s appointments) on your allocated day.
4. We share lifts, so if you do not have transport, this should not be a problem.
5. We support each other and are happy to help you if you have questions about how to assist children.
6. We have prepared a guide book “How to use resources in Reading for Hope” – which lays out the basics of the volunteer training we offer and lists all the education support materials we use. A copy of this is available at the schools as a reference. However, we could email it to you if needed.
7. We would expect you to reflect the values of Lerato’s Hope and Pinelands Baptist Church in your dealing with the children.
8. Although we are a Christian organisation, we are careful about whether we do or how we discuss religion with the children.
If you would like to join us, please indicate your interest in volunteering with us by signing up below