Belmont Chapel Survey
It's only a minority of people who go to church in Britain these days. There are now more of us who say we have "no religion" than people who still claim to be "Christian". So what, if anything, do people still make of Jesus Christ, the central figure of Christianity? How much respect is still paid to him? And what do people think of the claims made by Christians about him?
This survey is part of a project we're calling 'YESTERDAY'S HERO?' It is designed to work out how people in Devon typically view Jesus Christ and his importance today. If you can help us by filling it in, and even get others to do likewise, we'd be immensely grateful.
There are ten questions below, and your answers to eight of them will help us to produce survey results which we'll make publicly available later in the year, should you be interested.
1. In your opinion, how likely is it that Jesus actually existed?
He definitely didn't
Probably did exist
2. How do you view the claims that Jesus did miracles? Pick one:
I don't believe Jesus performed miracles
I think he did, but his supernatural powers don't prove he was God's Son
I think he did something, but it was probably illusion and deception
I think he genuinely did perform miracles
3. Pick which of these statements best represents your opinion:
Jesus' teaching is still a good influence upon today's world
Jesus' teaching has been a source of trouble and distress throughout history
Jesus' teaching is pretty irrelevant today
4. The Gospels are the biographies of Jesus contained in the Bible. In your opinion, how much truth do they contain about the life of Jesus?
No truth at all
A few basic facts
Truth mixed with fantasy
Mostly reliable evidence
A true and accurate account
5. Jimmy Carr is reported to have said: ‘It was very nice of Jesus to die for me, but I never asked him to.’ Choose one:
I agree with Jimmy Carr
I disagree with Jimmy Carr
I'm not sure what I think
6. In your opinion, based on the evidence we have, how likely is it that Jesus did rise from the dead?
There is a very faint possibility
It's possible, but we can't know
There's a lot of evidence that he did rise again
It's certain that he rose again
7. Jesus said he was coming back. Do you think this is
unlikely to happen
certain to happen
8. Finally, pick the best description of Jesus from this list
good moral teacher
God in human form
YOU DON'T NEED TO ANSWER THIS NEXT QUESTION but it will help us to refine the data if you do!
9. Pick the best description of yourself:
I am not a religious believer
I am not a church attender but I have some religious beliefs
I am a member of another faith
I am a Christian and church member
YOU DON'T NEED TO ANSWER THIS NEXT QUESTION but please do if it would be useful to you.
10. Please add your e-mail address or mobile number below.
We may send you a short e-mail or text outlining the special events, free resources and online information we're bundling in with this project - plus an invitation to the official launch of the survey results. We won't communicate with you in any other way (unless you ask us to!); we'll use the information provided to send you just this one message.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service