If you are a new UTD international student, 18 years or older, please complete this form if you are in need of a temporary home-stay after you arrive from the airport. If we are able to find a host, they will provide a room for you from one night to 2 weeks while you look for permanent housing. We may not be able to find housing if you are a student with a family.
Below are some guidelines which ALL hosts will expect you to agree to before you live with them.
1. You are responsible for finding permanent housing as quickly as possible, although your host may be able to help.
2. When you are in your hosts home or with other Americans, you should always be polite and courteous. You are an ambassador of your country, and the impression you leave will depend on your attitude and actions. We will respect you in the same way.
3. Conversation with your host is very important so that you can learn about each other. Do not worry about your English ability. They will understand and will help you. Use English as much as possible, even when you are with other students.
4. Household chores are a shared responsibility in many American home. ALL family members help with daily chores. Please keep your room clean and clean your own dishes after meals. You should also do your own laundry, unless your host prefers to do it for you.
5. When you leave your hosts home, please tell them where you are going and approximately what time you will return home. If you do not intend to return home for a prepared meal, let your host know well in advance.
6. Always ask your host before inviting friends or guests to their home.
7. If you go on an outing (for example, to a restaurant or movies) with your host, you should always offer to pay your own way.
8. The average home has a limited supply of hot water at any one time. Please be considerate as to the length of your shower.
9. If you have a car, ask your host where you may park it.
10, Most families do not smoke and prefer students not to smoke in their home. One should ask permission before smoking inside the home. If the answer is "NO", DO NOT smoke in your hosts home.
11. Your host will answer any questions you have on how to use the devices in their home. If unsure, be sure and ask.
12. If friends are traveling with you and they need temporary housing, they also must submit this form.
13. Housing of boyfriends or girlfriends together or non-UTD students will not be possible due to the demand.
14. We will confirm your status as a UTD student with the ISSO.