The Ballew incident follows on the heels of the Department’s killing of Kendrec McDade in 2012, shooting of Paris Holloway in 2013, killing of Reginald Thomas in 2016, and shooting of Matthew Hurtado in 2017.
Along with the Coalition for Increased Civilian Oversight of Pasadena Police, Pasadenans and Altadenans Against Police Violence, ACLU of Southern California, Pasadenans Organizing for Progress, and the San Gabriel Valley Progressive Alliance, we, the undersigned, urge the Pasadena City Council take immediate action to hold the Department accountable for its beating of Mr. Ballew and to ensure that Pasadena communities are protected from unnecessary police violence.
Together, we demand the Council take the following actions:
1. Mandate independent investigations of Pasadena Police Department’s use of force incidents resulting in injury or death, including of the beating of Christopher Ballew. All such reviews must be prompt, and result in the public disclosure of a comprehensive report of the investigation’s conclusions.
2. Direct PPD Chief Philip Sanchez secure maximum discipline of all officers involved in Mr. Ballew’s beating, including their termination.
3. Review and revise PPD policies on use of force, racial profiling, and investigatory stops to be more protective of Pasadena residents.
4. Adopt a permanent, independent police auditor with subpoena power tasked with auditing the department and providing ongoing recommendations on the department’s policies and practices.
5. Create regular public reports listing financial payouts for police misconduct complaints, and schedule annual agendized discussions at City Council meetings concerning such payments.
6. Direct Chief Sanchez to begin early implementation of the Racial and Identity Profiling Act by collecting and analyzing all data concerning police stops.
The City Council must stand with the residents of Pasadena, and work together with the community to end police brutality in the city.
Coalition for Increased Civilian Oversight of Pasadena PoliceSan Gabriel Valley Progressive AlliancePasadenans and Altadenans Against Police ViolenceACLU of Southern CaliforniaPasadenans Organizing for Progress
We will present signatories to this petition to the City Council. Below, please sign your name, city, zip code, affiliated organization (if any), and your email (to stay informed).