Grammar Police Entrance Exam
Thank you for taking the time to complete this entrance exam.
Successful applicants will be contacted after the closing date.
Take your time; a single mistake could cost you your place in the force.
What's your first name?
What's your surname?
Which English class are you in?
(Select 'None of the above' if you are not currently a student/member of staff at Lutterworth College.)
I'm a member of staff.
None of the above.
What's your email address?
1. Which of the sentences below contains the correct homophone?
Their class is taught in the room next to mine.
There the smartest class I've ever taught.
Tickets to they're concert were expensive.
2. What is the correct contracted form of 'should have'?
3. Which word could complete this sentence accurately? 'You need to ________ regularly to improve.'
4. Which of the following words is correctly spelt?
5. How many apostrophes are missing from the following sentence? 'I didnt hear my teachers instructions as I wasnt listening properly.'
6. Which of the sentences below is correctly punctuated?
Even though I like Girls Aloud? I don't listen to them regularly.
Even though I like Girls Aloud; I don't listen to them regularly.
Even though I like Girls Aloud. I don't listen to them regularly.
Even though I like Girls Aloud, I don't listen to them regularly.
7. Which part of the following sentence is a subordinate clause? 'We'll get a bite to eat after the film finishes.'
We'll get a bite to eat
after the film finishes
The sentence doesn't contain a subordinate clause.
8. Where should the apostrophe go in the following sentence? 'The childrens playground was closed.'
There shouldn't be an apostrophe
After the 's' in 'childrens'
Between the 'n' and the 's' in 'childrens'
9. Which punctuation mark could take the place of the space in the following sentence? 'I have spent a lot of time travelling over the past year ___ my favourite place to visit was Yosemite in California.'
10. Which word should go in the space? 'Do you fancy seeing a film with Mark and ___?'
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service