Thank you for your interest in the 2019 Young Scholars Program! This application will take 60-90 minutes to complete, and cannot be saved or restarted at a later date.
1. Approximately 24 students will be accepted to the program. The final number of available slots for the Young Scholars Program is contingent upon funding and will be determined before April 2019.
2. Priority is given to those students who have low access to similar programs and live commuting distance of Northeastern University (MA only!).
3. Students must be rising seniors.
4. The running of this program is contingent on grant funding.
5. The 50 semi-finalists may be required to complete an interview prior to final acceptance.
6. To confirm your spot in the program if you are accepted, there will be a $150 commitment fee.
7. Program dates: June 24, 2019 - August 1, 2019. Absences will not be allowed unless in a documented emergency.
8. This application includes short answer/essay questions, which will require some time to answer. In order to assist you in answering these questions they are listed below. a. Briefly describe any special interests you may have (250 words or less).b. Please write a short description as to why you would like to participate in this program (500 words or less).c. What do you see as the most significant science or engineering challenge facing our world today? (500 words or less)d. Describe three skills or talents that you believe will make you successful in the future (250 words or less).
9. Along with this online application, two teacher or guidance counselor recommendations and a high school transcript are required. It is suggested that these recommendations come from one math and one science teacher. You will need to submit the recommenders' email addresses when you submit this application. You will be asked below to waive your right to request a copy of these recommendations.
10. Program communications will come from NUstemed@gmail.com. It is crucial that you and your recommenders add NUstemed@gmail.com to your e-mail contacts, to ensure that you receive all notifications regarding application materials and decisions.
WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO DRAFT YOUR RESPONSES TO THE ABOVE SHORT-ANSWER QUESTIONS AND DETERMINE YOUR RECOMMENDER EMAIL ADDRESSES PRIOR TO STARTING THE APPLICATION - YOU CANNOT SAVE/CONTINUE THE APPLICATION LATER.
Please make sure to hit "Submit" once completed in order for the application to be fully processed.
For specific questions please e-mail NUstemed@gmail.com or Program Director Claire Duggan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All communications will be sent electronically. Please list below the preferred email address for all correspondence.