American Indian Sovereignty (IEFA Book Club Registration) Autumn 2020
The self-paced online course examines American Indian Sovereignty in the context of Indian Education for All Integration. Participants will explore resources developed by the Office of Public Instruction alongside primary source documents as they deepen their knowledge of Essential Understandings 4, 5, and 7. Topics explored include the federal Indian policy eras, tribal government, and treaty rights. Most required materials will be provided in the course Moodle, though participants may need to seek additional resources at school or public libraries online as part of the course requirements. Participants should have some prior knowledge of Indian Education for All and the Essential Understandings Regarding Montana Indians.
Building Foundational Knowledge: What is Sovereignty?
Federal Indian Policy Eras
A Closer Look at Allotment
Montana Tribes Pre-Contact to Present
Tribal Sovereignty Today
This course is the equivalent to 45 classroom hours (45 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 3 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
You can register for the course now or any time before November 15, 2020; with course completion by December 15, 2020.
Registration fee: $350
Credit: 45 OPI Renewal Units or 3 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155. The course instructor will provide a separate registration form). The total cost savings is 40% by going through WMPLC to get university continuing education credits.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester (Autumn 2020).
* If you are taking the course for University of Montana semester credits, complete the course and submit the form and additional payment of $155 by December 15, 2020. The semester credit registration form will be shared with you when your registration is received. You will then need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the date listed above. The instructor will collect all of the registration forms and send them together to the U of M at the end of the semester.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Instructor: Erin Lipkind
Event Number: 21521020
EDU 455 and C&I 555
brought to you by:
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Western Montana Professional Learning Collaborative.