ALL OUT FOR JOBS NOT JAILS
RALLY TO END MASS INCARCERATION AND FUND JOB CREATION
Saturday, April 26
1:00 - 4:00pm
Boston Commons Stage
Parkman Bandstand off Tremont
Thank you for your interest in supporting the Massachusetts Jobs Not Jails's Day of Action! Together, we can build a movement to prevent crime and end mass incarceration by investing in Massachusetts communities.
THE MASSACHUSETTS CAMPAIGN FOR JOBS NOT JAILS
• Massachusetts taxpayers are expected to build 10,000 new prison units by 2023, costing $2 billion, unless dramatic reforms are made;
• Reforms in other states have led to greater public safety while actually closing prisons (e.g. New York, Texas);
• Reducing long-term unemployment also improves public safety state-wide;
THE JOBS NOT JAILS COALITION CALLS ON OUR GOVERNOR AND STATE LEGISLATORS TO:
1) Enact criminal justice reforms that have been proven to work in other states, including: reducing barriers to employment; diversion to treatment; ending mandatory minimum drug sentences; and improving access to education.
2) Halt the construction of new prison units until these reforms can take effect.
3) Re-direct the $2 billion savings into a jobs program targeting communities with high rates of poverty and crime, further improving public safety for everyone.www.JobsNotJails.org
For more information, please contact EPOCA Steve O'Neill 508-410-7676, firstname.lastname@example.org
or Boston Workers Alliance, Phil Reason 617-784-2555, email@example.com