Title: Lifeguard (Seasonal)
About For Oak Cliff: For Oak Cliff provides culturally responsive programming to liberate South Oak Cliff from systemic oppression by creating a culture of education and improving social mobility and social capital. We accomplish our mission in partnership with our community through our four pillars: Education, Arts, Community Building, and Advocacy.
Role Summary: For Oak Cliff’s Lifeguard will supervise swimming activities at the pool and ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures are followed. You must already be a certified Lifeguard to apply for this position.
***** PLEASE EMAIL YOUR RESUME AND ANY CERTIFICATIONS TO INFO@FOROAKCLIFF.ORG
AND USE THE SUBJECT LINE "FOC Lifeguard Job Application” AFTER SUBMITTING THIS APPLICATION. ******
- Passion for creating positive change in the Superblock
- Alignment with our values of Courage, Liberation, Love, and Wisdom
- Knowledge and ability to evaluate pool water conditions to determine any potential dangers or hazards
- Ability to judge and evaluate evolving dynamics of individuals participating in aquatic activities to immediately assess their capabilities and threats to their safety
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for providing on-site emergency medical services
Education, Experience, Licensing and Physical Qualifications
- If you are un-certified and require training and certification, students must meet certain requirements prior to starting Lifeguarding training (Click here to see pre-requisites for training: https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/lifeguarding/lifeguard-training
- Age: Students must be at least 15 years old by the last day of class.
- Qualifications: Students must pass a pre-course swimming skills test prior to taking lifeguarding courses. This includes a 300-yard swim using front crawl or breaststroke, a 2-minute tread using legs only and the ability to retrieve a 10-lb dive weight from 7 ft deep, surface and swim 20 yds with the weight, using legs only and exit the pool without using a ladder within 100 seconds.
- May require long periods of standing, walking, bending, twisting, reaching, squatting, carrying, dragging, holding, pulling, pushing and lifting when setting up and conducting aquatics activities in all weather conditions
- Minimum of 6 months of related work experience
- Certified Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate, or equivalent
- American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer, or equivalent
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid, or equivalent
Supplemental Information: Lifeguards must be able to work varying shifts including weekdays, evenings and weekends. Hours will include every Wednesday from 2:45 - 5:00 pm and may include Saturdays from 11: 00 am - 3:00 pm.
Job Status: Part-time, non-exempt
Start Date: June 2022
Benefits Eligible: Not Eligible
Application Closes: June 24, 2022 (Unless Extended)
Lifeguarding Course Information (Optional):
- Traditional in-person classes. Course length: 25 hours, 20 minutes
- Blended learning classes. Course length: 20 hours in-person and 8 hours online. Total - 28 hours.
- Upcoming certification courses can be found online here: https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/lifeguarding?latitude=32.7766642&longitude=-96.79698789999999&searchtype=class&zip=dallas%2C%20tx