1. What are 2 sources of thermal energy in the earth's interior
solar heat and gravity
combustion and solar heating
gravity and radioactive decay
radioactive decay and combustion
Use this image for the next question
2. How do we know that the Basalt intrusion is younger than the folded layers of rock?
3. Which 2 stations will only receive 1 type of seismic wave?
Stations 1 & 3
Stations 2 & 3
Stations 1 & 4
All will receive both types of waves
4. How can scientists tell when the magnetic reversals occurred?
By measuring the thickness of the different bands of the oceanic crust
By measuring the distance between the mid-oceanic ridge and the ocean floor band
By measuring the amount of minerals in the different bands of oceanic crust
By measuring the strength of the Earth's magnetic field recorded in the oceanic rocks.
Use this illustration to answer the next 2 questions.
5. Which number (1-4) represents "Cooling of warmer material"?
6. Which number (1-4) represents "Heating of cooler material"?
7. Select the 2 processes that occur at Mid-Oceanic Ridges
Materials rise from the mantle
Sediments from the crust sink into the mantle
Crustal rock subducts into the mantle and melts.
Thermal energy rises from the mantle to the crust
Tsunami waves transfer energy from the crust to the mantle
8. As a result of this divergence, what can you predict will happen in the East African Rift region in about 5 million years.
Subduction will result in more volcanic activity
The land will become flat as the crust continues to thicken
The lowlands will be pushed up into mountains
The sea will flood the lowlands when the rift valley reaches the ocean
9. Write letters M, O, and Y per the instructions in the correct order, left to right, that would fill the 5 empty boxes on the island of Iceland.
10. Which fossil will be most helpful in determining the relative age for the rocks in these geologic columns?
11. Select the 2 pieces of evidence that describe why these fossils are most helpful in determining the relative ages of the rock layers.
The fossils appear for a short period of time
The fossils appear in all but 1 layer
The fossils appear in all types of rocks
The fossils appear in all geologic columns
The fossils do not appear with any other fossils in a layer
12. Where would you place the number "3"?
Blue Rock Layer
Grey speckled rock layer
Brown rock layer
14. The half-life of cobalt-60 is 5 years. If you start with 10 grams of Co-60, how much do you have after 15 years?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Coventry Local Schools.
Terms of Service