***Before beginning your application, please carefully read the following information about application instructions, eligibility, selection criteria, etc.***
This year, we will be implementing a $1500 NTD fee for participation in HTLC. While HTLC has not had a fee in the past, after careful consideration, we have decided to implement a fee in order to increase the quality of the conference. The fee is small for a week-long program, but if it poses a financial burden to you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com. We do offer scholarships to cover the participation fee, and in no way do we want finances to be a barrier to your participation.
Eligibility: To be eligible to participate in HTLC 2018, applicants must satisfy all of the following criteria:
1) Applicants must be in 10th 11th, and 12th grade of high school at the time they apply. 2) A rising 10th grader is NOT included3) A rising freshman for college is included4) Applicants must have ROC Identification Card or ROC (Taiwan) Resident Certificate.
1) 必須為現役台灣高中職生2) 不包含國中應屆畢業生3)包含高中應屆畢業生4) 具有中華民國身分證或是台灣地區居留證。
Application Instructions:In order for your application to evaluated, you must complete the application in its entirety by submitting the application form here. Any incomplete applications will not be reviewed, and you will automatically be disqualified without notification. We recommend that you craft your responses in a separate document (save frequently!) and paste your responses when complete rather than directly into the textbox on the application form.
Upon submitting your application, you will receive an automatic email confirmation containing a copy of your responses. Please do not email HTLC staff to inquire about your application status. Application decisions will be sent out via email in late May or early June, so be sure to check your email.
PLEASE NOTE: We expect you to put time and effort into this application. Please do not fill it out if you only plan on spending 15 minutes with the application. Also, please answer it in English! Thank you!
1. Propose a problem you would like to solve, or describe a problem that you have solved. By problem we mean anything that of personal importance no matter the scale, from a social cause, intellectual project, research question, ethical dilemma. How do you go about solving it, or what was the process of solving it for you?
2. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
4. Describe an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
5. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
6. Propose your own essay topic and respond to it.
In the video, please introduce yourself
*Please note: this video supplement is optional. Submitting a video will not necessarily increase your chance of admission to HTLC 2018, and those who elect not to submit this supplement will not be penalized in any way. In fact, while strong video supplements can support your application, weak videos can also hurt your application. Therefore, we suggest you carefully consider whether submitting this video supplement will contribute to a stronger application, and if you decide to submit the supplement that you submit a thoughtful and compelling supplement