The Improv Conspiracy - Diversity Scholarship Application
Thank you for your interest in the Improv Conspiracy's Diversity program!
DIVERSITY PROGRAM GOALS
The goals of this diversity program are to:
- provide an opportunity to study with us for students who might not otherwise be able to (due to financial or any other reasons)
- increase the diversity of our student body and ensemble
- encourage the exchange of culture and ideas, allowing for better comedy
It is our hope to offer ONE diversity scholarship spot for every Level 1 class that we offer, both 8-week courses and intensives.
If accepted into the program, you will:
- receive a tuition scholarship for a Level 1 Improv course with The Improv Conspiracy
- be able to see a number of professional improv shows for a discounted price or free during your time as a student
- have opportunities to meet and network with some of the most inspiring performers in Melbourne
If your initial scholarship term goes well academically, we are open to discussing ways to extend the scholarship to Level 2 (and beyond)
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Two weeks before the commencement of the class you are applying for.
First, you fill out this form and submit it.
We will look at the applications and will meet with promising applicants in-person for an informal interview to see if they'd be a good fit. You will also be offered a complimentary ticket to our flagship show, Harold Night. Once we get a chance to meet with the applicants, we will make a decision about whether to offer a scholarship based on the following criteria:
- The candidate would contribute to community diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, socioeconomic status, etc.
- The candidate exhibits a genuine interest in comedy and/or improv performance, even if they have no prior experience
- The candidate seems likely to work well in groups
- The candidate seems like a generally interesting, fun person who would help make the Improv Conspiracy community even more awesome and inclusive than it currently is
Please note that we receive many applications and applying does not guarantee that you will be selected to meet with us in-person. And meeting with us in-person does not guarantee that you will be accepted into the program.
If you are unsuccessful in your first application you may apply again ONCE more during the year in which you applied. Applications will reset at the start of each new year.
Our scholarship program is not explicitly need-based, and we will not ask you financial questions. However, we ask that applicants consider their own financial situation when deciding to submit, so that the scholarship can be given to those who might not otherwise be able to benefit from our classes without it.
IMPORTANT ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: The Improv Conspiracy Training Centre and Theatre regretfully acknowledges the physical accessibility limitations of our current facilities. Our venue is unfortunately NOT wheelchair-accessible. It is up a flight of stairs from street level, with additional stairs separating the main venue from the toilet facilities. We hope to improve on this in the future.
There is no minimum or maximum requirement for how long these answers are. Just answer them truthfully and thoughtfully.
Why do you feel you'd be a good fit for a Diversity Scholarship?
Please let us know a bit about your background, most specifically in relation to how you would contribute to community diversity.
Why are you interested in studying Improv or Sketch?
Please let us know a little about your ability and interest in performing - specifically as it pertains to improv or sketch comedy. Again, you don't need prior experience, but we'd love to hear that you're passionate.
How would a scholarship provide access to opportunities that you do not currently have?
Have you ever seen a show at The Improv Conspiracy Theatre?
If so, when and what show did you see? If you've seen more than one, please pick one you particularly enjoyed or resonated with you. No worries if you haven't! But the best way to explain improv is give it a watch and see if you like it.
Is there anything else you'd like us to know about you?
Which Level 1 Workshop that you are interested in participating in? Please list all you are available for.
e.g. "Monday Level 1 Improv starting January 18". It's our goal to offer ONE scholarship for every Level 1 course. The list of workshops, dates, instructors can be found on our website -
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of The Improv Conspiracy.