We are going to be using a different method to communicate with volunteers instead of Facebook. We are looking at https://www.volunteersignup.org/ https://www.volunteerspot.com/index and groupme (an app).
What's in it for you?
- A complimentary badge for the weekend in return for working a minimum of 8 hours
- Shifts are done in 2-hour increments so you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the convention.
- Tickets for the Volunteer Drawing
- You earn 1 free ticket for completing your first 8 hours
- Additional tickets are earned for every 4 hours over the initial 8.
- The drawing is held at the end of the con during the Con in Review panel, you must be present to win, and prizes vary from year to year.
- A place in our convention family of volunteers that makes ConCarolinas fun.
- A commemorative volunteer t-shirt that is yours to keep.
What's expected of Volunteers?
By volunteering to work with ConCarolinas, you are agreeing to abide by our rules as published here, on our web side, and in our program book.
Be respectful of the people you’re working with:
- Show up on time for your shifts. (This means you need to keep track of when and where you are supposed to be.)
- Be ready work. This means dressing appropriately and not being inebriated. We are a family-friendly con and our volunteers should embody that fact.
- Ask questions and listen when you need help.
- Treat your fellow volunteers with kindness and understanding.
- Remember that when you are duty, you represent ConCarolinas:
- Take care of yourself – get enough rest, remember to eat, and don’t forget to shower.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol or using controlled substances. Don't arrive for duty under the influence and don't partake while on duty. This one of the few things that will result you being ejected from the convention for the rest of the weekend.
- Be respectful to everyone you meet – attendees, guests, vendors, hotel staff, and even random people passing through. You have the opportunity to make their day better and their con experience a good one.
- If you don’t know the answer to a question, help find someone who does. Be prepared for the basics by reviewing the convention map and carrying a pocket program guide both of which can be had at the information desk near registration.
§ Let us know if there’s an event or panel you really want to take part in so we can schedule your shifts around it.
§ If, for any reason, you find that you are going to miss a scheduled shift – let the volunteer manager or your area director know as soon as possible. We all know that life happens in ways that can't always be predicted.
§ Sometimes you may be asked to take on additional shifts. We ask that all volunteers please be flexible as much as possible. If you need a break or meal, please speak up
- Never take the law into your own hands. If things get hairy, immediately alert a member of the Convention Committee (ConCom) so they can handle it appropriately. When in doubt, it is always better to ask.