DeWitt Charter Township Burning Permit Application
Burning permits are required for all open burning, except recreational fires; see definitions below. Burning permits must be obtained by the property owner and do not expire unless the property changes ownership. For an open burning permit, fill out the form below.
Burning permits are not required for recreational fires, described as:
An outdoor fire which has a total fuel area of 3 feet or less in diameter, and 2 feet or less in height for pleasure, cooking, warmth, or similar purposes.
Permits are required for open burning which is described as follows:
The burning of YARD WASTE materials with a burn pile no larger than 5' x 5' x 3'. Open burning does not include recreational fires.
After you have submitted your request for a burning permit, once approved, your permit will be emailed to the email address provided on the form. You may not open burn until you have received your permit via email.
Open Burning Regulations (a complete copy of the regulations can be obtained via the Township’s Codified Ordinance (
). ) It is your responsibility to know these regulations. Once approved, the permit entitles you to burn in the open under the following conditions:
1. Open burning (as described above) is allowed year around ONLY for residents in agriculturally (A) zoned areas with parcels greater than two acres. All other approved areas are allowed to open burn from October 1st through April 30th. (***NOTE: R-6 Neighborhoods of The Pines, Northway Hills and Shadybrook are not allowed to open burn.)
2. All open burning must be done between the hours of sunrise and sunset. Fires must be completely extinguished by sunset with the exception of recreational burning. Recreational burning must be extinguished by 2:00 a.m.
3. Open burning shall be done at a safe distance from all buildings, trees, tall grass and other combustibles. The size of the burn pile can be no larger than 5’x5’x3’ and must be fifty (50) feet from any structure. A burn pile that is 3’x3’x2’ or less in size can be burned within twenty-five (25) feet of a structure.
4. Burn piles larger than 5’x5’x3’ must be inspected and approved by the Fire Chief, or a designee.
5. Open burning that will be offensive or objectionable due to smoke or odor emissions, when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous, shall be prohibited. The following are examples of materials that cannot be burned: paper products, grass clippings, garbage, solid waste, rubber or other petroleum based products (includes tires), building materials, electrical wiring, human or animal feces, animal carcasses, plastic, and furniture. This list is not intended to be all inclusive.
6. Open burning and recreational fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished. On-site fire extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water barrel, or garden hose shall be available for immediate utilization.
7. If the wind velocity exceeds ten (10) MPH, the permit is deactivated and all burning shall cease.
Violations may lead to the permit being revoked, citations, and reimbursement for the Fire Department's costs.
If you have any questions regarding burning permits and your associated responsibilities, please contact the DeWitt Township Fire Department at 517-669-0071.
Name of Applicant
Contact Phone Number
Applicant's Street Address
Please note, if you are in the City of DeWitt call 669-2441 for burning permit information.
Date of Application
You must check boxes below to submit your application:
I have read and understand the above restrictions and Ordinance 16-23 for open burning in DeWitt Charter Township. I agree to abide by said rules.
Enter your initials
By entering your initials you are agreeing that you have read and understand the above restrictions and Ordinance 16-23 for open burning in DeWitt Charter Township. You are agreeing to abide by said rules.
A copy of your responses will be emailed to the address you provided.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of DeWitt Charter Township.