An outline of the program is posted online at: http://www.minimedicalschool.com/outline.html
An NCTV report on our summer program can be found at: https://vimeo.com/226952410
Our winter program is 20 hours long divided over 6 sessions. We offer the program twice in the winter, one class being held on Saturday afternoons and the second is being held on Sunday afternoons.
The Saturday program will be held on Jan 12, Jan 26, Feb 9, Feb 23, and Mar 2 from 2:30 PM to 6 PM at the Edward - Plainfield ER conference rooms located on 24600 W 127th St, Plainfield, IL 60585 . Our 6th session is held at the Edward Hospital Education Center 3rd floor auditorium and conference rooms on March 17th from 1 PM to 3 PM. Parents and students are invited to this session during which Dr Rubin will review how students go from high school to med school and we will have a graduation ceremony.
The Sunday program will be held on Jan 13, Jan 27, Feb 10, Feb 24 and Mar 3 from 1:30 PM to 5 PM. We conclude with a graduation at the Edward Hospital Education Center 3rd floor auditorium and conference rooms on March 17th from 4 PM to 6 PM. Parents and students are invited to this session during which Dr Rubin will review how students go from high school to med school and we will have a graduation ceremony.
This application has 4 parts:1. This online form which includes a short essay2. A parent consent form.3. A counselor form4. A teacher recommendation from a science or math teacher. * Best to use your teacher from last year.
We need all 4 parts to consider you for the program. Once all forms are received and complete we will invite students who we believe will best benefit from our program for an interview. The deadline for us to receive all 4 parts is October 31, 2018.
Here are our instructions:
1. Fill out and submit this form online. The form will only submit if all required (RED) fields are filled out. You will get a computer generated message once the submit button is pressed. Follow the message and download the next part.
2. Download the file containing the parent consent, teacher recommendation and school counselor forms. Print the forms and complete the information. Write clearly or use your computer to complete the form.
3. Remember to ask your parent to sign the parent consent form and counselor form. Send the parent form back to us via email or fax.
4. Ask your school counselor to complete the counselor form online or send it by email or fax.
5. Ask a math or science teacher to complete the teacher recommendation form either online or send it by email or fax. You only need one recommendation. If you send in 2, we will only process the first one received. It is best to have this recommendation from a teacher you had last year. If that is not possible, ask your current teacher.
6. A notice of completion will be sent via email once we have all forms.
7. After reviewing complete applications, we will offer selected students an interview. There is no cost incurred by applying, however, we will collect the program fee of $400 at the time students are interviewed. Checks will be held and only deposited after students are offered and accept a spot in the program. There is no other fee to attend this program.
During the program, all students experience many advance medical and surgical procedures. Here is al partial list:1. organ dissections including eye, brain, heart and kidney.2. measure vital signs: temp, pulse, respiratory rate and temperature3. examination of the eye4. examination of ears5. examination of the nose and mouth6. use the sethoscope to hear heart and lung sounds7. examination of the abdomen8. checking central and peripheral nerves10. how to read x-rays11. how to interpret an EKG12. Cast a broken bone13. Splint an injured finger14. Make a plaster slipper.15. Knot tye.16 Suture a laceration17 Deliver a normal baby18. Intubate the larynx19 Start an IV line20 perform injections
Checks from students interviewed and not accepted are destroyed. Students who accept and then cancel by December 30, 2018 will be refunded $300. Students who cancel after Dec 30 will not be entitled to a refund.