Thank you for your interest in becoming a mentor for Techquitable's Fall 2022 cohort!
Our goal is to make the tech industry more accessible to underrepresented communities regardless of race, gender, sexuality, or education. We pair college students from underrepresented backgrounds interested in a career in software engineering with mentors in the industry to receive technical education and career guidance.
This program will begin Sunday September 11th, and last 9 weeks through Sunday November 13th (Oct 9th week holiday for Indigenous People's Day). The application is due Sunday August 6th. Mentor orientation sessions be held Saturday August 20th and Sunday August 21st in the morning PST - you only need to attend one.
As a mentor you will have the opportunity to select your desired time commitment across the following key tasks:
1) Career Development Sessions: Every 2 weeks (5x total), 60min each.
• Host a biweekly 60min session with your assigned fellow.
• The goal of these will primarily be focused on career development (we will provide a template in advance), as the technical content will be covered in the weekly group lessons. That said, you are welcome to focus on whatever makes most sense for your fellow.
• The default structure will be one mentor-one fellow "pairs", but we will accommodate a limited number of two mentor-one fellow "trios" depending on availability.
2) Technical Practice Sessions: 4 sessions, 60-90 minutes each
• Co-teach a 60-90min technical group practice session along with 2-3 other mentors.
• The lesson will be taught in a flipped classroom style - the fellows will receive a 15min video on the topic, there will be a short 10-15min review at the start, and then the rest of the time will be spent in breakout sessions where you will work with a group of 4-5 fellows through practice problems.
• Technical topics include: Arrays & Strings, Linked Lists, Stacks & Queues, Graphs & Trees, Sorting & Searching, Recursion.
• There will be a small number of non-technical topics at the start: Resume Review, Behavioral Interviews, Application Tips, Negotiations.
The default mentor commitment is either:
A) 5 Biweekly career development sessions + 2 technical group lessons over the 9 weeks, or
B) 4 technical group lessons over the 9 weeks.
That said, we are more than willing to discuss alternative levels of involvement. Please note that all mentors must be able to accommodate North America time zones.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit our website at https://www.techquitable.io/
. Thank you!