There is ONE RULE in the Alternative Old Boy Network: You must create privilege for those without privilege!
Be it as mentor or contact you are giving your time generously to support students from under-represented backgrounds. You are becoming part of something unique and important. Though we are London based for mentoring right now, there is a growing regional presence around the UK and we hope wherever you are, you feel part of something positive, proactive and that is a genuine force for good at this difficult time for decent society. Tick your region on the form and we'll introduce you to others in your area.
As a contact, your Involvement in the AOBN is flexible and the role is specifically designed for busy people and freelancers. Below is a role description we put together for you and after that, a simple application form.
If you wish to be a mentor please read the role info: http://bit.ly/mentorAES before returning to complete your form. It takes two minutes, there are students waiting to be matched at this time and we plan to train new mentors later in the summer.
Once you have completed your form please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a large jpeg picture of yourself so that our wonderful artist in residence, Paul Williams can begin your digital portrait. It's our way of thanking you for helping give connections and confidence to the wonderful young people we work with.
So now to the all important role description for being an AE Contact in the AOBN and below that, the form.
What you will be doing:
• Becoming a contact in our network for students without connections
• Sharing industry knowledge and relevant life experience with them
• Corresponding with AE students (arranged via their mentors) via phone, email or face to face
• Where applicable, talking to groups of students about your experience and passions
• Where applicable, offering taster days and work experience to AE students (arranged via AE Director)
• Sharing further contacts that prove useful to students and helping us grow the network
How you will do it:
• Emails, meetings and calls (all subject to your availability)
• Attending if you wish, our monthly social club/networking event (subject to your availability)
• Attending schools workshops where applicable (subject to your availability)
• Help us grow the network by telling friends, family and colleagues
Who can apply?
Any Bachelor of Arts graduate and/or professional working in a relevant industry or working in a related creative field.
Who will you help?
Students in non-selective further education (16+)
Useful previous experience:
• Communication and interpersonal skills
• Skill at listening actively
• A willingness to help others
• Experience supporting others
• Experience of academia or relevant careers/pursuits
• Meet interesting, like-minded people in the professions and creative industries
• Increase awareness of the different cultures, creative opportunities, and backgrounds
• Gain and build on your own communication, listening, interpersonal and networking skills
• Become part of an exciting community sharing contacts and attending unique and fun events nationwide
• We will actively promote your creative work, blogs and general brilliance to the world at large
Training and Support:
• All AOBs are free to attend our training sessions for mentoring
• Ongoing support throughout the scheme as and when needed from the AE Director and Programme Consultant
• AE workbook and policy framework on request
• Direct line to Child Protection Officer when required
• If you are running an event or campaign in aid of Arts Emergency, we will promote and support this wholeheartedly!
• Usually year 12/13 students aged 16-19 years old and undergraduates.
• Mixture between those entering/in sixthform education and those transitioning to University
• Students keen to study an arts subject at university and/or break into the creative professions or academia
If you would like this document in large print, audio, alternative format or in a different language, please contact: email@example.com.
All information that you provide on this form will be handled and stored securely and not shared with third parties.
Thank you so much for doing this. Short answers are fine. We'll use this info to introduce you to students and for your online biog.