Signup for School of Music IDE Collective - Summer Reading Discussions
You’re invited! Please join us on Zoom for two School of Music summer reading discussions focused on the topics of inclusion, diversity, and equity. These discussions are open to all students, staff, and faculty. We are honored to be joined by the author of the material for our first session, Dr. Stephanie Shonekan! When you sign up on this form, reading materials and Zoom links will be sent to you via email.
Session 1: August 5, 7-8pm - Local Focus: 2015 Protests on Campus
- To Read: Stephanie Shonekan - “Black Mizzou: Music and Stories One Year Later” from Black Lives Matter and Music : Protest, Intervention, Reflection
- To Watch: Field of Vision - Concerned Student 1950 / Link:
- Guest Speaker: Stephanie Shonekan
- Faculty Discussion Leaders: Amy Knopps and Megan Arns
Session 2: August 12, 7-8pm - Global Focus: Through Professional Musicians’ Eyes, Past and Present
- To Read: Callam, Katie A., Makiko Kimoto, Misako Ohta, and Carol J. Oja. "Marian Anderson's 1953 Concert Tour of Japan: A Transnational History." American Music 37, no. 3 (2019): 266-329.
- Barone, Joshua. "Opera Can No Longer Ignore Its Race Problem." New York Times, July 16, 2020.
- Optional: Tommasini, Anthony. "To Make Orchestras More Diverse, End Blind Auditions." New York Times, July 16, 2020.
- Woolfe, Zachary, and Joshua Barone. "Black Artists on How to Change Classical Music." New York Times, July 16, 2020.
- Faculty Discussion Leaders: Yoshiaki Onishi and Christine Seitz
Which sessions would you like to participate in?
August 5, 7-8pm - Local Focus: 2015 Protests on Campus
August 12, 7-8pm - Global Focus: Through Professional Musicians’ Eyes, Past and Present
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service