The Eco Action Warrior Challenge
Get 8/10 correct AND 10 hours volunteering planting or nursery work you become an Eco Warrior.
You get the badge and the High Vis Vest. At planting days we hope you will lead others and help monitor how plants are handled and planted so we get the best survival for our precious trees.
Take the test as many times as you need to learn our challenge answers. When you are confident email David Newton C/o
and he will contact you to arrange a paper copy of the test for you to take. It is that easy.
Eco Warriors know their stuff.
1. How do you carry a potted plant or tree?
by the leaves
by the pot
by the stem
2. How do you carry a spade safely?
sharp end facing forward
Sharp end facing down
Sharp end facing back.
Slung over the shoulder
Carrying a shovel or spade
3. When you take a plant out of the pot to protect both plastic pot for recycling and plant health. what is the correct order?a) shake and lift plastic bag off plant roots without damaging rim of pot if possible. b) support potting mix and plant with splayed fingers. c) grip inside “ears” at base of pot with one hand. d) turn plant upside down. e) rip plastic pot to remove root bound plant.
a b c d e
d c b a e
e d a c b
e a b d c
4. What is the purpose of Mulching a plant? A it looks nice. B stops weed seed germinating. C Retains moisture. D Makes soil soft
A and D
B and C
5. When digging a hole, which of the following is wrong. A - Scrape away mulch twice size of hole required. B - Dig hole slightly bigger and deeper than the size of the pot going into it. C - Keep soil separate from mulch. D - Test hole depth with plant in pot. E- Bury plant stem 50mm under the soil's surface so it doesn’t fall over. F - Remove plant from pot. G- Place fertilizer in the hole. Place plant in hole. H- Place soil around plant and stand on it very hard so the plant doesn’t fall over.
A and C
E and H
H and F
B and G
6. Where should fertiliser be placed?
under the plant.
sprinkled over the plant
beside the plant.
sprinkled around the plant
7. Which of the following statements is CORRECT about watering after the plant has been planted.
Watering is a waste of time because the plant needs to be tough to survive.
A cup full is best because any more will drown the plant.
A bucketful is worst because it will wash away the nutrients from the roots.
A bucketful is best as it washes the soil around the roots and removes air pockets.
Watering in trees
8. Which of the following statements about why we have to replace mulch are true. A- Exposed soil contains weed seeds which germinate and grow. B - Germinated weeds from soil exposed compete with the plant for water nutrients and light. C - Mulch around the plant stops the plant breathing and it dies. D - Deep mulch around the stem of the plant can kill the plant by disease entering the stem.
A and B and D only
A and B only
A and B and C and D only
A and B and C only
9. Is planting a tree enjoyable?
QEII Tree planting
10. Do you want to be an Eco Warrior?
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service