Books suggested for the SSYRA list must:
• Be fiction (no non-fiction, poetry, or graphic novel titles will be considered);
• Have an original US copyright date of 2015, 2016, or 2017;
• Be age-appropriate for either grades 3-5 or grades 6-8 (or both);
• Be the first in a series (if it is part of a series);
• Have literary merit and appeal to young readers;
• Have received a favorable review in at least one of the following reviewing publications: Booklist, Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books, Hornbook, Kirkus, or School Library Journal.