Completed applications and all supporting documentation are due by July 31, 2019. If you have any questions about the application or requirements, please contact Valerie Kinney, Secretary at VP: 801-784-6962 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help you prepare to apply and collect the necessary documents, print this 2-page application overview. It includes all application requirements and information. Download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SjY9qHLr2M9RSBKLDOeoP8CYK5Jzh8x4/view?usp=sharing
Valerie G. Kinney, SecretaryNed C. Wheeler Scholarship Foundation for the Deaf5320 South 4100 WestRoy, UT 84067-7727
The following Documentation is required:
1. Official Transcripts High school transcripts required for college/university studentsCollege transcripts required for master's or doctoral students (or returning college/university students)**Unofficial transcripts taken from high school or college website will not be accepted**
2. An official fall 2019 enrollment schedule You must meet the minimum number of credit hours for the 2019-2020 academic year: 12 credit hours for undergraduate9 credit hours graduate6 credit hours for doctorate studies
3. Verification of hearing loss Submit an audiogram showing a hearing loss of 55 dB or greater in the better ear
4. Proof of full time, legal residency in Utah. You must have maintained three (3) years of continuous Utah residency while registered as a resident student at high school or college (transcripts will show state of residency)
5. Two reference lettersLetters must be from people other than members of your family or friendsLetters must be on letterhead and signed/dated (less than three months old). It is recommended that the reference letters focus on the student's educational background, community service, and/or leadership qualities. The letters are to be mailed or emailed directly by the reference person to the Foundation Secretary. Letters must be postmarked by July 31, 2019.
6. Personal StatementAddress the following three items, 50 to 100 words in length: a. The name of college or university you are attending, and your chosen majorb. Outline your objectives in pursuing a degree and how you will serve the deaf community in the futurec. State why you need the scholarship money and how it will help you achieve your higher education goals. **You have a choice of creating a 5-minute video for your personal statement. Contact the secretary before proceeding with the video.
7. Photograph of applicant (no larger than 2" x 3")
Applicants will be notified of decision no later than October 31, 2019. Awards will be distributed in January, after fall/winter semester transcripts are received directly from the registrar's office. Transcripts must meet application criteria. If no transcript is received by the end of January, the award will be withdrawn.
Please acknowledge each of the following statements prior to submitting this application.