Thank you for your interest in the Accelerated Academic Program for Leadership and Enrichment (AAPLE). Our motto Lead, Serve, Excel succinctly describes the Academy focus. It is important that applicants have a strong interest in organizational leadership, civic leadership, and leadership in the classroom. The AAPLE Academy seeks students from varying social, economic, and cultural backgrounds. Our aim is to admit a diverse group of high achieving student leaders interested in leadership theory and practice and making a deep impact on their community.
The AAPLE Academy's academic pathway is very challenging. It is very important that you consider this and the time commitment involved before applying. We cannot stress enough the importance of students and parents reviewing the program requirements on our Academy website and having meaningful discussions regarding the time commitment, focus on leadership and service, and academic balance required by Academy participants.
Due to the popularity of the Academy there will be more applicants than spaces available. Please know in advance that we are expecting a high number of applicants representing all District junior high schools and many of the surrounding private schools. Please understand prior to applying that in most cases, those who do not get admitted to the academy will submit good comprehensive applications, however, when compared against all applications, some applicants will not be admitted. The admissions panel will evaluate each student’s application in a holistic manner with the intent of finding the best match for the AAPLE Academy. We strongly recommend that all applicants become familiar with the many other amazing academies, activities, and opportunities available at SMHS.
• The application window will close on January 13th, 2019 @ 11:59PM. Late applications will not be accepted.
• You cannot save your answers and come back to them. We suggest that you write your essay using word processing software on your desktop and then cut and paste your final draft into the appropriate text-box. Please strictly follow formatting requirements provided below.
• Once you have pressed "Submit", your application is final. There will be no exceptions. You may only submit one application. You cannot edit, add, or resubmit a new application. Please, double check and proof read your application before you submit it.
• It is important to strictly follow application instructions.
GOOD LUCK AND GO ROYALS!
Formatting: List your principal extracurricular involvements, followed by a brief description of each, in order of importance to you. You must use a bullet or asterisks to separate each. You must make sure to separate each activity by a space.
For each section, do not list more than 5. If you have more than 5, prioritize those that you would most like AAPLE to know about.
ID: Your extracurricular involvement will not be considered if you fail to place your APPLICATION ID (the last four digits of your telephone number) at the top of each extracurricular involvement response.
* You must place your Application ID (the last four digits of your telephone number) in the top left corner of each response. Your essay will not be considered if you fail to place your Application ID (the last four digits of your telephone number) at the top of each essay.
* Your short answer response must not exceed 350 words total. Note however that writing only of few sentences may not be enough. Most essays will use almost all of the 350 word maximum. Spend time on this section. Write to make an impact and impression on the reader.
* Formatting: You must format properly before you submit your application. Points will be deducted for improperly formatted short answer responses. You must indent paragraphs. You must provide a space separation between each paragraph.
* You may want to write your short answer response, and then cut and paste your final draft into the space provided. If you do so, make sure to recheck your formatting after you paste it into the space provided.
Please Note: Students who did not take the CAASPP exam in 7th grade can demonstrate math readiness by scoring in the 75th percentile or above on a standardized, norm-referenced test.
Please note: Academy applicants are not ranked by their Mathematics or English scores. Scores are used to determine eligibility to apply only.