Troop On-line Activity #33 - Carbon Monoxide Dangers
1st Kanata Scout Group - Beaverbrook Troop
To get credit (points) for correct answers 1st Kanata Scout must provide their first and last name. Thanks.
Robbie: What do you call a happy cowboy?
Robbie: A jolly rancher.
Saying (to think about)
Change the game, don't let the game change you
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide is a odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that reduces your body's ability to carry oxygen in your blood. High concentrations can cause death. Carbon Monoxide is a by-product of combustion (burning) and can be produced by fuel burning appliances (like camp stoves, wood/charcoal BBQ's, lantern's).
Below is an alert from the CPSC from 2010 that provides a good summary of the dangers and prevention of Carbon Monoxide Poisioning while camping.
The Government of Canada webpage gives more detailed information (for both a home and while camping):
Carbon Monoxide does kill campers in Canada. The article (link below) from the summer of 2019 is about a 10 year old BC girl ended up in hospital from suspected Carbon Monoxide poisoning while camping. Sadly her mother died in the same incident.
Using the alert from CPSC answer the questions below.
1) Which of these actions could result in Carbon Monoxide poisoning? Check the box next to all the correct answers. There is more then one.
Bringing some warm embers from the fire in a pot into your tent to warm it up
Cooking on a stove inside your tent
Cooking on a stove on a picnic table in the open
Bringing a lit lantern (that uses fuel) inside your tent for light or heat
Lighting a stove or lantern in the open
Sitting in a running car in a snowstorm without checking to make sure the exhaust is clear of snow
2) Which of the following could be a symptom of Carbon Monoxide posioning? Check the box next to all the correct answers. There is more then one.
What did you think of this activity?
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of 1st Kanata Scouts.