DSTL Arts – Volunteer Application
Interested in volunteering with DSTL Arts? Fill out this form and give us some background on your skills and interests; and we will contact you after review with further details about our current volunteer needs, orientation process and important dates as related to our programs and services, all of which are typically offered in the East L.A., Northeast L.A., and South L.A. regions.
Please note that we have multiple programs where volunteers can help mentor and guide our emerging artists, both young and seasoned. Please be sure to indicate the program(s) you are interested in volunteering with. If you have any questions about the programs we offer, feel free to review our website at
for more information, or contact us directly with your questions via email at Info@DSTLArts.org.
For your reference, here is a brief summary of our programs and volunteer opportunities:
* Arts Mentorship Program – at-risk youth, ages 16–21 years old at the time of enrollment, work one-on-one or in small groups with a Volunteer Arts Mentor to develop new and existing skills in either creative writing or the visual arts, including poetry, fiction, nonfiction, comic books, illustration, or photography. Students meet with their mentors a minimum of once a week, for about 1.5 hours, at their local library or other public space, and will typically work on a personal project to be exhibited in our Annual Student Art Showcase and/or other events DSTL Arts participates in throughout the year. These mentorships typically include academic tutoring/guidance, and career exploration/job readiness skill development as well. Meeting times and venues vary based on student and mentor availability, but it is highly encouraged mentoring pairs meet on a regular basis to ensure art projects and school-related work is being completed on schedule.
* Art Block Zine-Making Workshops – occurring on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month from 4:00pm–6:00pm at the Junipero Serra Library in South LA, these workshops bring together teens and young adults in exploring the arts through zine-making, including poetry writing, comics, and mixed media/collage. Every month a new mini-zine is published featuring the student artwork in collaboration with Volunteer Arts Mentors. Session 1 of each month includes the creation of the artwork and feedback sessions, and the second session of the month is for zine assembly and adding final touches to the master manuscript. The new zine is then released the following month.
* Art Block Zine–Youth Editorial Board – made up of students in our Arts Mentorship Program, the Art Block Zine–Youth Editorial Board is responsible for managing the calls for submission, curating and posting of content for our e-zine/blog, and the printing and construction of our biannual Art Block Zine featuring work collected through our mini-zine workshops and our calls for submissions. Volunteer Arts Mentors work with our Youth Editorial Board to provide editorial guidance and feedback on zine presentation, construction, and other curating practices, while also providing feedback on individual students' artwork along with the Youth Editorial Board where needed.
* Conchas y Café: Creative Writing Workshops for Adults – offered both at the Junipero Serra Branch Library in South L.A. and at the East Los Angeles Library, Conchas y Café is a quarterly series of 10-week workshops meeting on Mondays in South L.A. and on Tuesdays in East L.A. from 6:00pm–7:30pm. Each 10-week publishing cycle culminated with the release of a new zine, and a public reading conducted on the weekend after the final session. Volunteers will work with the workshop instructors to provide feedback on weekly homework assignments, and will also provide in-class guidance to our adult participants. There is also an opportunity to co-teach workshop sessions during each publication cycle.
* Brand Ambassador Internship – the DSTL Arts Brand Ambassador Internship is an opportunity for a qualified volunteer(s) to work alongside our Founder and Executive Director, Luis Antonio Pichardo, and our Board of Directors to develop content that will be showcased in grant applications, our social media profiles, e-newsletters, and other outlets, including press releases and DSTL Arts event promotion. This also includes occasional recruitment of students and/or volunteers, and occasional vending, at events that DSTL Arts participates in, such as the L.A. Zine Fest, San Diego Zine Fest, and other such events. Please note: this is a specialized volunteer opportunity that will require a secondary application and follow-up interview.
• Fundraising and Development Internship – the DSTL Arts Fundraising and Development Internship is a specialized volunteer opportunity for qualified candidates seeking to work closely with our Founder and Executive Director, Luis Antonio Pichardo, and our Board of Directors. This position will help coordinate small-scale fundraisers in partnership with our Board of Directors, and will work with our Executive Director in researching and preparing grant applications, including supplementary materials for grant applications. Please note: this is a specialized volunteer opportunity that will require a secondary application and follow-up interview.
Date of Birth
Are You Willing to Submit to a LiveScan Background Check?
Program(s) You're Interested in Volunteering With:
Arts Mentorship Program (at-risk youth, ages 16–21 years old)
Art Block Zine-Making Workshops (teens and young adults, meets 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month at Junipero Serra Branch Library in South L.A.)
Art Block Zine–Youth Editorial Board (Arts Mentorship Program students; meets weekly at East L.A. Library)
Conchas y Café: Creative Writing Workshops (adults only, meeting at both Junipero Serra Branch Library in South L.A. on Mondays, and the East L.A. Library on Tuesdays)
Brand Ambassador Internship (a secondary application will be sent if this option is checked)
Fundraising and Development Internship (a secondary application will be sent if this option is checked)
Page 1 of 2
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of DSTL Arts.
Terms of Service