Growing good kids by igniting a passion for learning, success, and service through a unique gardening education.The Junior Master Gardener program is an international youth gardening program of the university cooperative Extension network. JMG engages children in novel, “hands-on” group and individual learning experiences that provide a love of gardening, develop an appreciation for the environment, and cultivate the mind.JMG also inspires youths to be of service to others through service learning and leadership development projects, and rewards them with certification and recognition.
Children can get involved in exploring their world through meaningful activities that encourage leadership development, personal pride and responsibility, and community involvement. Youth involved in the program develop critical thinking skills, and the ability to identify community concerns and take action to address them through individual group projects.
The Junior Master Gardener teacher/leader training programs that will be provided to support the Wyoming Farm to School program provide information on the following:
• Find and use resources available to you to support your Farm to School program
• How to start a JMG program in your community
• Overview of JMG curricula and certification
• Identify research done related to children and family behavioral outcomes related to gardening and health
• Integrate of gardening with STEAM in the classroom
• Develop a plan for implementation in schools and community programs
• Building sustainability programs through program marketing, local funding, trained volunteers, and community partnerships
• Documenting success through program evaluation
The workshop will be two days full of hands-on activities using the JMG Level One Teachers Handbook and the Learn, Grow, Eat, Go! curricula. The workshop is free and each participant will receive both curricula manuals. Travel stipends are available to those traveling over 100 miles one-way. All participants are responsible for booking their own lodging and other expenses. For those eligible to receive the travel stipend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further reimbursement paperwork after registering.
Participants will be required to complete a pre and post evaluation as well as registering their group as part of the National Junior Master Gardener Program. Attendees will report to WDE quarterly as to their activities involving the JMG program.