Thank you for your interest in Rise Up! CAGJ Summer School 2018.
Rise Up! CAGJ Summer School is an anti-oppression leadership development program exploring food sovereignty movements situated in our local contexts.
The 3-month program will delve into our campaign-related themes of African food sovereignty, Farmworker solidarity, and Northwest Native Resistance to GE Salmon through community discussions and site visits. Perspectives of people of color will be prioritized in the materials and discussions as we focus on anti-oppression and intersectional analysis. We will develop the leadership of members involved in the organizing and facilitation and hope to create a safe space to encourage newer activists to explore learning edges and rise up in leadership.
- Rise Up! CAGJ Summer School sessions meet twice in June, July, and August
- Potluck Discussion **Proposed Meeting time**: 2nd Tuesdays 6:30-8:30pm
- Field trips **Proposed Meeting time**: 3rd Saturdays (during day)
- Free and open to all!
- Discussion meeting locations TBD, likely our office
- **If you are interested but these particular times do not work for your schedule, please sign up anyway, and we'll see what we can do.**
JUNE: African Food Sovereignty
- Tuesday June 12 Potluck Discussion
- Saturday June 23 Field Trip to Gates Foundation Visitor Center in Seattle
JULY: Farmworker Solidarity
- Tuesday July 10 Potluck Discussion
- Saturday July 21 Field Trip to meet with Familias Unidas por la Justicia farmworker union in Burlington, WA
AUGUST: Northwest Native Resistance to GE Salmon
- Tuesday August 14 Potluck Discussion
- Saturday August 11 Field Trip TBD
In order to create a cohesive learning community, we ask participants to commit to attending at least two discussion sessions and at least two field trips, to deepen your involvement in CAGJ during 2018, and to come with a readiness to learn and have fun while doing it!
Updates and a final schedule will be announced to registered participants and via CAGJ listservs, newsletter and website.
Please email Simone (firstname.lastname@example.org
) if you have any questions.