HOT PEPPER EATING CONTEST - MICHIGAN TACO FEST
How hot can you stomach on the Scoville heat scale?!? Knock your socks off with Local Grown hot peppers!
* Round 1: Pablano (1,000 – 1,500 SU)
* Round 2: Jalapeño (2,500 - 8,000 SU)
* Round 3: Hungarian Hot Wax (5,000 – 10,000 SU)
* Round 4: Habanero (150,000 -352,000 SU)
* Round 5: Ghost Pepper (855,000 - 1,041,427 SU)
If there is a tie after round 5, remaining contestants will enter into a “Lightning Round” where the contestant who eats the most Ghost Peppers in 30 seconds is the winner.
1. Each contestant must sign a waiver and release form.
2. The contest is a series of rounds with participants able to withdraw at any stage either during a
round or before the next one begins;
3. The hot peppers will begin at a mild heat and will increase in heat based upon the Scoville Heat
Scale as the rounds progress;
4. Each contestant will receive a single hot pepper in each round;
5. Contestants will be required to eat the entire pepper: flesh, seeds and membrane;
6. Contestants will be allowed to finish any pepper remaining in their mouth when time is called
after one minute. This rule does not apply in the event of a tie situation as detailed in Rule 8;
7. The winner will be determined by being the last remaining contestant willing to continue in the
8. If there is a tie after round 5, remaining contestants will enter into a “Lightning Round” where
the contestant who eats the most Ghost Peppers in 30 seconds is the winner;
9. Contestants may not coat the inside of their mouth with any kind of protective coating and
anyone caught doing so will be immediately disqualified;
10. Each contestant is permitted only 1 bottle of water and a glass of milk for the contest
(contestants who take a drink of milk will be disqualified). No other food or drink is allowed on
11. Any contestant that vomits during a round will be disqualified;
12. Each contestant recognizes that excess consumption of hot peppers can lead to and/or
contribute towards health issues.
All contestants must be 18+ to participate.
Best of Luck!
Complete event details and entertainment schedule.
*Registration does not include admission to the Michigan Taco Festival. Festival tickets must be purchased online, or at the gate (we recommend advance purchase).