You are being invited to take part in a research project. Before you decide whether you want to take part it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what it will involve. Please take the time to read the following information carefully. To take part you must be over the age of 18 and a supporter of a professional football club.
Project Title: Professional football clubs cannot protect their traditional values and identity at the expense of chasing a global brand.
Principal Researcher: James Thomas
Supervisor: Dave King
Researcher contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
INFORMATION TO POTENTIAL PARTICIPANTS
1. What is the purpose of the project? The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of global branding on the traditions and identity of professional football clubs. There is limited academic information on this topic.
2. Why have I been selected to take part?
You have been selected to take part in this survey because you are over 18 and a supporter of a professional football club.
3. What will I have to do?
You will have to complete a short questionnaire that relates to the research project. This should take no more that 5 minutes.
It is up to you to decide whether to take part as participation is entirely voluntary. If you do decide to take part you will be asked to document your consent to take part.
4. Will there be any negative effects of taking part in the study?
No risks are anticipated in taking part in this study.
5. What benefits will the study have to the participants?
Benefits of taking part in this study include aiding research into the understanding of the effect of global branding on the traditions and identity of professional football clubs. The main beneficiary of the study is the researcher, who will use the data for an undergraduate dissertation.
6. How will confidentiality be assured?
You will not be asked to give your name or any identification on any of the materials used during this study, so all the information you give will be anonymous.
7. Who will have access to the information that I provide?
Only the researcher and his supervisor will have access to the data, which will be stored by the researcher in accordance with the Buckinghamshire New University policy on data security.
8. How will my information be stored / used in the future?
The anonymised data will be used for an undergraduate dissertation and may form part of a published article and/or conference/seminar paper. The data generated in the course of the research will be destroyed once the dissertation has been marked, or if the data is likely to be used for a publication and/or conference/seminar paper, it will be transferred to the supervisor and kept for a period of ten years after the completion of the research project.
9. Has this project received appropriate ethical clearance?
This study has been approved by the UCFB Research Ethics Committee [Reference Number- UCFBREC18W148]
10. Will I receive any financial rewards / travel expenses for taking part?
There are no incentives or financial rewards for completing the questionnaire
11. How can I withdraw from the project?
Please note that as this study uses a questionnaire it will not be possible for participants to withdraw once their completed questionnaire has been returned to the researcher due to the difficulty identifying their data. Therefore the only time to withdraw from the study will be prior to completing the questionnaire.
12. If I require further information who should I contact and how?
You can contact me on my University email address: email@example.com or supervisor, Dave King on: firstname.lastname@example.org