A Survey of Green Libraries in India
PART I - BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Please fill the complete information for Part I.
Course related to environment (if any)
Work experience with current institution (in years)
Name of the institute
Name of the library
Total LIS work experience (in years)
Year of establishment (Institute)
Year of establishment (library)
Type of university library- Please Tick at the applicable option
If campus library please specify the location.
PART II – GREEN QUOTIENT OF YOUR LIBRARY
Please Tick wherever applicable.
1. Is library located in independent building?
2. Is your library building a heritage building?
2-A. If yes, specify the grade for building.
3. Is your library building a green building?
3-A. If yes, mention the certification/s used for the evaluation of building.
4. Is any green initiative taken for the following design aspects of building to make it Eco-friendly?
ii.Day light design
iii.Interior (e.g. design of interior, furniture etc.)
5. If you have selected any of the aspect for question No.4, please specify the feature adopted as green initiative.
6. If the building is converted into a green building, were any environmental norms (Green rating system) followed?
[The term library building refers to where the library is located]
6-A. If yes,specify the rating system.
(Universal access can be assured through universal design as it ensures that building design caters access to differently able persons and senior citizens)
7. For universal access has any special care taken in designing the library? (These design features are incorporated in the building infrastructure)
i.Easy access to the main entrance of the building for differently abled members
iii.Preferred car park spaces for specially abled
iv.Ramp with handrails on at least one side
v.Restrooms (toilets) in common areas
vi.Uniformity in floor level (which allows hindrance-free movement in common areas )
7-A. If any of the above feature in Q.No.7 exists but not in working condition, please mention.
7-B. For universal access has any special care taken in designing the library? (These design features are not inbuilt in the building infrastructure)
i.Audio guidance for differently abled
ii.Availability of wheel chair
iii.Braille assistance for differently abled
iv.Personalized services by library staff for differently abled
v.Visual warning signage in common and exterior areas
7-C. If any of the above feature in Q.No. 7-B exist but not in working condition, please mention.
(Includes water efficiency and electrical energy efficiency)
8. Which measures have you adopted for water efficiency?
i.Aerators to water taps
ii.Automatic toilet faucets
iii.Draught tolerant native plantsfor landscaping
iv.Drip irrigation (This refers to plant watering system)
v.Dual flush toilet with cistern
vi.Efficient irrigation system (This refers to plant watering system)
vii.Efficient plumbing system
viii.Grey water reuse
x.Recapturing of site water
xi.Regular maintenance for Leakage free plumbing system
xii.Root zone system for waste water treatment
xiii.Timer controlled scheduled irrigation(This refers to plant watering system)
xiv.Use of bore-well water in the toilet for flushing
xv.Use of low flow/flow control water equipment or gadget
xvi.Use of rock garden for landscaping (This do not require any water to maintain)
xvii.Use of sprinklers
xviii.Use of water budgeting approach
xix.Water free urinals (No flush urinals/Zero flush urinals/Water less urinals/air based flushing system these save water used in toilet)
xx.Water treatment plant
xxi.Xeriscaping (Dry landscaping)
8-A. If any of the above measures in Q.No.8 are adopted in the past, but not practiced at present, please mention.
8-B. Which measures have you adopted for electrical energy efficiency?
i.Adopting efficient electrical technology
ii.Avoiding excessive exterior lighting
iv.Computerized monitoring of electrical system
v.Integrating energy saving design for natural cooling/heating
vi.Mixed mode system for cooling and lighting
vii.On-site energy generation
viii.Photocell occupancy sensor for automatic light control
ix.Regular maintaining electrical system
x.Shading of facade through jali for thermal comfort
xi.Using capacitor panel for constant voltage supply
xii.Using day lighting system
xiii.Using dimmer occupancy sensors
xiv.Using energy efficient equipment
xv.Using energy saving bulbs (Compact florescent light/LED lights)
xvi.Using green wall for thermal comfort
xvii.Using innovative cooling and ventilation technique
xviii.Using natural day light
xix.Using very low ozone depleting refrigerants
xx.Wall or window pergola for shading and thermal comfort
8-C. If any of the above measures in Q.No. 8-B are adopted in the past, but not practiced at present, please mention.
9. Is energy generation mechanism integrated in the building design?
9-A. If yes,specify the energy generation mechanism.
10. Do you have any type of on-site energy generation mechanism to become self-sufficient? (These features are not in built in the building infrastructure)
10-A. If any of the above mechanisms exist from Q.No.10, but not in working condition, please mention.
Greenness through initiatives, programs, activities, services, measures, operations and maintenance
(Waste management program [This includes books, paper, e-waste, other waste])
11. Which measures are adopted in your library for waste management of books?
i.Gift the books to friends of library
ii.Give away the books to its users for no cost
iii.Relegate books to store area
iv.Sale of books to its user for minimal charges
v.Sale of books to store or other library
vi.Sale of weeded books to scrap person
vii.Send books to recycling organization
11-A. Which measures have you adopted for waste management of paper?
i.Avoid use of paper by going digital
ii.Lessen the margins while printing
iii.Printing on both sides of paper
v.Segregation of dry and wet waste
vi.Sending it to recycler
vii.Setting up recycling area
11-B. If any of the above measures in Q.No.11-A are adopted in the past, but not practiced at present, please mention.
11-C. Which measures are adopted in your library for waste management of E-waste?
i.Creation of specified junctions for collection of E-waste
ii.Donation of computers to NGO’s to refurbish and give it to needy people
iii.Hand over to the organization or recycler who knows proper disposal system
iv.Implementation of any recycling project or program
v.Purchase of electronic products from company’s which have after sales service for the disposal of product with take back policy
11-D. If any of the above measures in Q.No.11-C are adopted in the past, but not practiced at present, please mention.
11-E. Which measures are adopted in your library for waste management of other waste?
i.In house Recycling of garbage
ii.Installation of bins to collect garbage
iii.Outsourcing Recycling of garbage to agency
iv.Recreating in to new sustainable products
v.Sale to the recycler
vi.Segregation of dry and wet waste
vii.Use of colored bins with code to collect garbage
11-F. If any of the above measures in Q.No.11-E are adopted in the past, but not practiced at present, please mention.
12. Do you have any waste management policy?
12-A. If yes, attach a copy or mention the details in brief of waste management policy.
13. Do you have book withdrawal policy?
13-A. If yes,attach a copy or mention the details in brief for withdrawal policy.
14. What are the factors regarding saving of environment included in your policy?
(E.g. sending the withdrawn books to recycler) Please mention
15. Is any type of environmental audit conducted for your library?
15-A. If yes, specify the type out of audit.
i.Energy audit (includes energy consumption, thermal comfort, visual comfort)
ii.Sound level audit (includes indoor noise level, outdoor noise level)
iii.Water and waste audit (includes water quality, solid waste generation, solid waste disposal process)
16. Which of the following strategies are insisted upon for efficient operation and maintenance of building?
i.Purchase of standardized and quality material for repair
ii.Regular maintenance of building
iii.Use of chemical free products for cleaning
iv.User awareness program to minimize damage of property
17. Share details of above mentioned strategies if marked any in Q. No.16.
18.Has any green program been advocated in your library?
18-A. If yes, is it any one of the following Green programs?
i.Accessing Information: Through OPAC and MARK records
ii.Becoming leader in environmental awareness i.e. green education
iii.Buying recycled material
iv.Conducting graduate program by library science department e.g. “Eco-librarians:
v.Conducting short term online courses through library e.g. “The greener library”
vi.Converting unused library space into green space or maximum possible plantation
vii.Creating “Green Team” in the library
viii.Educating him/herself about green practices, green collection resources and green programming material
ix.Inter library loan to avoid duplication in library collection
x.Outreaching relationships with local groups interested in environmental concern and satisfy their information needs
xi.Providing digital material to patrons
xii.Providing external membership to small and local libraries
xiii.Recycling beyond books i.e. paper, aluminum, plastic, e-waste
xiv.Reduce, Reuse and Recycle of the products (At the time of de-selection and disposal of library material)
xv.Starting a library within the library which will satisfy the local needs (e.g. tool library, seed library)
19.Has your library taken any green initiative through collection development?
19-A. If yes, is it any one of the following Green initiative through collection development?
i.Selecting ecofriendly reading material
ii.Selecting material with content which informs and assesses green practices (green computing, energy conservation, organic gardening etc.)
iii.Selecting process that emphasizes reusing and recycling of materials
20. If you have adopted any measures for green services, explain your methods or procedures for the same.
21. Has your library taken any green initiative for dissemination of information?
21-A. If yes,is it any one of the following Green initiative for dissemination of information?
i.Contributing information on sustainability from library resources to a campus publication, blog or website
ii.Creating institutional repository
iii.Creating paperless environment (through e-archiving, e-resources etc.)
iv.Creating sustainability LibGuides in paper format
v.Creating topical online resource guide (on sustainability etc.)
vi.Disseminating expert advice about sustainability to another librarians to make their own library greener
vii.Providing digital library
viii.Providing facilities for environmental video viewing or lecture presentations
ix.Publishing reviews of new green resources in the newsletter or news
x.Setting library computer links and bookmarks to environmental issues site
xi.Sharing printer, computer for optimum use
xii.Using green topics at the time of information literacy instruction
xiii.Working as a liaison officer for information dissemination
22. Has your library taken any green initiative in information technology? (For e.g. purchase of green products, use of thin clients means computer with few locally stored programs and a heavy dependence on network resources etc.)
22-A. If yes,specify the green initiatives taken in information technology?
23. Have you thought of any program to become green library professional? (Any effort taken to create sustainability network within or outside library profession)
23-A. If yes,explain in brief your program to become green library professional.
(E.g. Librarian can act as subject expert on sustainability, educator and collaborator.)
Conversion into green library
24. Is any work in progress for converting the library building in to green building?
24-A. If yes, specify the work for conversion of library building into green building.
25. Does your library have any future plan to convert your library building into a green library building?
If yes, answer Q.No. 25A To Q.No.30 AND if No, go to question No.31.
25-A. If yes,explain the plan or attach a copy if documented.
26. Has library committee played any role for planning / conversion of green library?
27. Have you experienced any of the following constraints while planning the green library?
ii.Attitude of library staff
iii.Attitude of management
iv.Attitude of user
28. Share your experience in any of the above area of constraint if mentioned in question No. 27.
29. What challenges can be experienced while maintaining green library?
i.Careless attitude of staff
ii.Careless attitude of users
iv.Lack of training to staff
v.Lack of training to user
30. Share your experience in any of the above areas of challenges mentioned in Question No. 29.
31. Have you evolved any plan for greenness in library through activities? (E.g. paperless library, Reduce-Reuse-Recycle, waste management etc.)
31-A. If yes and documented, please attach the plan separately through attachment.
32. If not documented and plan is in evolving stage please give the outline.
33. According to you the green measures followed show positive effect on-
34. Explain in brief how.
35. Mark the level of computerization in your library departments.
Not at all
Record of periodicals
Not at all
Record of periodicals
35-A. Please specify the approximate quantity of paper used for library transaction per month.
35-B. How many emails are sent per year?
36. Do you have any collection development policy for e-books?
36-A. If yes, explain or attach a copy.
37 .Number of Databases subscribed per year.
37-A. Number of E-books purchased other than database per year.
37-B. Number of Online journals purchased other than database.
37-C. If Any purchase other than 37,37-A,/B/C, then please specify.
38. Do you have a digital library?
38-A. If yes,specify the level of digitization of your library.
39. Have you mentioned any green efforts followed by you in NAAC accreditation form?
39A. If yes,specify the green efforts followed by you and mentioned in NAAC accreditation form.
40. Any other relevant inputs you wish to add for planning the libraries as green libraries?
Send me a copy of my responses.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service