2021 - 2022 Physician Pipeline Preparatory Program (P4)
Physician Pipeline Preparatory Program (P4)
High school freshmen interested in becoming doctors are invited to the Physician Pipeline
Preparatory Program (P4), sponsored by SIU School of Medicine, Springfield Public School District 186 and the Sangamon County Medical Society. P4 places freshmen high school students alongside medical students and other professionals for a rigorous curriculum introducing them to the field of medicine and exposing them to dozens of physician career possibilities.
P4 is a four-year, after-school program featuring two, 2-week modules of study during the academic year. It recruits a diverse group of students who want to become physicians and provides support, leadership opportunities and a variety of hands-on experiences to assist them in pursuing this career goal. P4 students are expected to remain in the program throughout their high school education.
The selection process for P4 begins with submission of an application packet. Only incoming high school freshmen are eligible. The application must include evidence of high academic performance (GPA at least 2.5) and attendance rate of at least 80%. THE SELECTION COMMITTEE FAVORS APPLICANTS FROM UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS (African-Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, Alaskan Natives and Pacific Islanders), as well as potential first-generation college students and those who might not otherwise be able to pursue premedical experiences.
Additional Facts About the Program
• A program director monitors participants’ grades, attendance, and behavior in high school, as well as during P4 activities.
• Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA in high school, or greater to remain in P4.
• All students must be enrolled in a rigorous high school curriculum. Disciplinary problems, attendance issues, or other matters that impact a student’s success in the program will be reviewed by P4 administrators.
Questions regarding P4 should be directed to:
• Nalo Mitchell,
at Springfield Public Schools, 217-525-3047
• Lesley Barfield,
at SIU School of Medicine, 217-545-7334
• Lance Thurman,
PhD, at Springfield Public Schools, 217-525-3017
Physician Pipeline Preparatory Program (P4) 2021-2022 Application
EACH APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN:
1. One letter of recommendation: teacher or school administrator.
2. Personal essay explaining interest in P4, career plans and other goals. The essay should be typed and no more than 250 words.
3. A summary of student experiences (form attached)
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2021 at 4 PM
Complete the application; sign and return, along with the essay and the teacher or school administrator recommendation sheet to one of the following:
• PLEASE NOTE: ALL District 186 students must submit their application online.
If you do not complete a particular section of the application, please explain why.
Note: Prospective P4 Student Virtual Interviews will be held October 11-15, 2021. Applicants will be notified of the times and other details.
A parent informational meeting will be held at 5 pm on October 28, 2021. All new students are strongly encouraged to attend. Current pipeline students may attend as well.
First Study Module: November 1 - 4 and 8 - 10, 2021, (No session Veterans Day)
Second Study Module: January 31 – February 3, 2022 and February 7 - 10, 2022
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Springfield Public Schools.