1. This is an annual contract commencing January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018. The community garden is intended for the use of growing vegetables, fruit, flowers, and herbs (the legal ones).
2. A non-refundable, nontransferable annual membership fee is required for each plot, limit one plot per address. Plots are assigned on a first-come first-serve basis with priority given to City residents/property owners/taxpayers. City of Suwanee residents/property owners/taxpayers receive a 25% discount on the plot rental fee. Annual fees include use of land, utilities, basic community garden owned tools, and, when available, compost and mulch. Plot members will incur some personal expenses for their choice of seeds, plants, amendments, tools, etc.
3. Since the success of the garden depends upon the support of its gardeners, each plot member(s) must participate in at least 12 hours of community garden service a year for cleaning and general upkeep.
4. During the year, you will be responsible for keeping your plot planted, watered, harvested, weeded/mulched (including pathways around your plot), staked/pruned to prevent excess growth outside of plots, cleared of any dying or dead plants, and any other garden related maintenance, as all of these provide for a neat, attractive, cared-for appearance, as well as a healthy, productive plot that does not attract diseases and pests to the garden.
5. Please do not harvest, water, or tend to another plot member’s garden unless given permission. For example, if another plot member goes on vacation and asks you to do so, this would be acceptable in order to prevent their plot from being reclaimed.
6. If your plot is not maintained in accordance with the garden rules, or is not planted by May 1, you will be contacted by your plot liaison by phone and/or email. Please follow up with your liaison within two days of receiving the contact to discuss a solution and timeframe to address the situation. Failure to follow up with your liaison or to correct the issue(s) as agreed up will result in a yellow stake being placed in your plot. This stake indicates that you have one week to remedy the situation. If the issue(s) has not been addressed at the conclusion of that week, a red stake will be placed in your plot. The red stake indicates that any ripe produce in the plot may be picked and the Managing Board may begin the process of reclaiming the plot for reassignment. No refunds will be given.
7. Since weed seeds germinate and spread quickly, we ask that you be diligent in keeping your plot weed free. Remove and dispose of weeds properly in the appropriate designated place. Chemical herbicides are prohibited in this garden. Organic solutions are acceptable.
8. Plot member(s) will agree to garden organically by refraining from using synthetic chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides. In the spirit of promoting organic gardening practices in a shared environment, we ask that you seek the help of more experienced gardeners, if need be.
9. Water conservation will be practiced whenever possible by turning hoses off when not needed, mulching beds to hold moisture, and using the on-site cistern.
10. For the consideration, enjoyment, and safety of others in the garden, we ask that members be mindful of where tall crops are planted in plots to prevent shading neighboring gardens; recoil/remove/return hoses from pathways for safety; place trash and unwanted plant materials in their designated areas; and clean and return tools. Smoking, chewing tobacco and alcoholic beverages are not allowed. Children 12 years and younger must be accompanied and supervised by an adult in the garden. Keep pets out of the fenced garden area, and keep loud noise to a minimum.
11. Rules and policies are subject to change at any time. Please note, the Harvest Farm Managing Board, rather than the City of Suwanee, enforces these rules and policies and handles any disputes.
12. The City and Managing Board reserve the right to revoke plot membership and access for a failure to comply with the above-stated rules.
13. Happy harvesting!