RSVP for NRVR July APC Motor Mixing Class
UPDATE: The Mixing class is GO. But the sign-up deadline for this has passed (June 30th). If you really want in at this point, contact officers(at)
and the instructor
As a part of the NRV Rocketry BFSL (two day, summer research launch
), Ben and Elaine Russel are doing an APC motor mixing workshop. Sign up and use the notes section to note which form of the workshop you desire (full or partial-audit, and if you want the optional 54mm 1200 case or not.
In a nut shell.. in an effort to help make Research rocketry more safe, Elaine and her husband Ben Russell regularly travel the country giving these awesome, guru led, full 8hr, hands on workshops where they step the class through mixing/APC theory and safety (slides and book class time). After that they jump right into the hands, expert led on process of safely mixing and packing your own APC motor! They provide you all the consumables (recipe ingredients), tools, and mandrel kit to help you safely fabricate your very own, first 54mm, 3-grain, hand packed J350 "tiger tail" APC motor grains!.. During this, they cover all the how-to best practices for doing it safely,reliably and economically. The big catch is that we need at least five people to sign-up to make it worth their while to drag their trailer full of mixers, fuel/binders/chemicals, APC, and tools out here..
Workshop Options & Costs:
The hands on, expert led workshop costs $350/person (teens w/participating adult for $175).. The exact cost breakdown is as follows:
* Full Workshop $350 – The participant receives the class ring binder/formula handouts, 3-grain 54 mm TruCore casting mandrel set, chemicals to make the class reload and 54 mm liner casting tubes to make the J350 reload. 18yr of older, or teen w/accompanying adult.
* Partial Auditing $175 – For participants who do not want to make a motor for get the TrueCore casting mandrel, but just audit the workshop and get the copy of the class ring binder/formula handouts (no casting mandrel or chemicals).
* Optional 54mm Motor Casing $125 – Complete 54 mm 1200 Ns snap ring case, 2 - snap rings, #24 nozzle, nozzle washer, forward closure and 4 o-rings. (does not include snap ring plyers which can be ordered from McMaster-Carr or Harbor Freight).
Considering you're making your own $100(equiv) J350 motor grains(3) plus are getting a $50-60 mandrel to keep (for making more), as well as keeping the printed ring binder with all the formulas, tips,and FAQ.. plus being tutored in an 8hr expert led class w/one on one Q&A.. it's not a bad deal and is definitely the easiest & safest way to get into start making your own APC motors!
TRA Note From Ben: "You do not have to BE a member of TRA to take the class. We’ve taught the class to NAR and TRA members. However, as noted you DO have to be TRA Level 2 or greater and fly the motor at TRA research launch."
Sign Up And Payment by June 30th:
If seriously interested, please sign up and pay Ben Russell (the instructor) by June 30th, latest. The two acceptable forms of payment are:
* PayPal Friends and Family to ben.russell11(at)
* Check – Ben Russell sent to 4360 Snow Hill Dr, Gainesville, VA 20155 (email him to tell him how much is in the mail)
Email Ben @ Officers(at)
if any questions or concerns.
TRA# (need to be L2 to eventually fly this K motor)
Notes, What options you're purchasing, Questions, or Concerns:
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service