PLCP (also known as Mountlake Terrace Co-op), is affiliated with the Family Life Education Department at Edmonds Community College. The affiliation between colleges and cooperative preschools has evolved for over 75 years in Washington State to provide social education for children and parenting education for parents.
• Play-based curriculum: Each class has age-appropriate activities and materials. The play-based curriculum is based on research showing that young children learn critical early skills — such as resilience, conflict resolution and sharing — through playing.
• Parent education: A trained parent educator (an employee of Edmonds Community College) attends class once a week. Educators offer invaluable observation and advice to parents, both in class and in special parent-education sessions once a month.
FAMILY INVOLVEMENTParents are involved in all aspects of running PLCP.
• Class Participation: Parents, nannies or other adult family members serve as co-teachers in the classroom one day a week, helping manage and guide the children at the teacher’s direction.
• Parent Job: Each family will hold a parent job or serve as an officer on the preschool board. • Meetings: In addition to the Fall Orientation, attend monthly meetings on the third Tuesday of the month, 7pm – 9pm, that include both business and EdCC education portions.
• Classroom Cleanings: Participate in 2-3 weekend cleanings per year and one deep clean, either mid-year or end-of-year. Children are not allowed in the classroom during cleanings.
• Snack: Provide snack for the class on a rotating basis (2s and 3s classes only – Pre-K students bring their own lunches each day).