We now have two options for you to attend: Operawise Standard or Operawise Extension
1) Operawise Standard (Only Rehearsal Viewing): Undergraduate and graduate students attend any of the available technical rehearsal viewings which usually begin around 7:30pm. Limited space available (100 max).
2) Operawise Extension (Backstage Tour, Pre-Talk & Rehearsal Viewing): NEW Operawise EXTENSION: Undergraduate and graduate students are given an inside look on how an opera production is created by attending an LA Opera orchestra technical rehearsal on the mainstage together with a career connection workshop/pre-talk and backstage tour. This exclusive program is tailored for students interested in design, technical theater and production and provides access to the design and technical theater professionals working at LA Opera. This program usually begins around 5:30pm (1.5hrs prior to the technical rehearsal). Professors will be able to sign up to bring a maximum of 25 students (for the pre-talk & backstage tour) as limited space will be available.
Productions & Dates Available:Extension (Backstage Tour & Pre-talk) begins at: 5:30pmStandard Rehearsal Viewing begins at: 7:30pmMandatory Orientation (for both groups): 7:00pm
1) DON CARLO Monday, September 17
2) SATYAGRAHA Tuesday, October 16
3) HANSEL AND GRETELTuesday, November 13
4) THE CLEMENCY OF TITUSTuesday, February 26
5) EL GATO MONTÉSWednesday, May 1
6) LA TRAVIATA Wednesday, May 29th
How to Apply:Professors may apply by submitting an application and an accompanying lesson plan detailing how they will prepare their students for the rehearsal. This experience may be enhanced by having an LA Opera Community Educator visit the classroom to further prepare the students and give them an insider’s look at the opera.
Upon application approval and your confirmation, you GUARANTEE that you are bringing at least 90% of the students you signed up. If you do not fill the 90% of the seats requested, you will no longer be invited to participate in the program.
PLEASE NOTE: Rehearsals are closed to the public. For Operawise, only college and university faculty with their registered students are allowed to attend per this application. Thank you for your understanding.
*All rehearsals will start with a MANDATORY orientation for you and your students. Location: Lobby of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. NOTE: IF YOUR STUDENTS MISS THE ORIENTATION, THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND THE REHEARSAL.
**Operawise is offered on the dates that the orchestra, chorus, and principals rehearse together for the first time on stage with sets and props, which is referred to as a technical rehearsal.