ACSS Wilbur Murra Award
In order to recognize individuals who have made long-term contributions to social studies education, the
Arizona Council for the Social Studies has established the Wilbur Murra Award, presented annually at the
ACSS Fall Conference. The Murra Award recipient will receive a plaque and a one year membership in
ACSS. The award recognizes an individual who has:
1. Demonstrated a record of "lifetime achievement" in social studies education in Arizona.
2. Served social studies education in a consistent and outstanding manner.
3. Exemplified the term, "Social Studies Educator," and/or nurtured such qualities in others.
4. Supported effective programs for democratic citizenship in their communities.
ELIGIBILITY: Social studies teachers, school administrators, professors, and community leaders from
across Arizona may be nominated for this award. Candidates need not be ACSS members, nor must they be
professional educators. A nomination may be made by an administrator, teacher, coordinator, professor, or
any other representative of the social studies program(s) with which the nominee has been involved.
JUDGING CRITERIA: Nominations will be judged by members of the ACSS Awards Committee based
on these criteria:
1. Evidence of "lifetime achievement" in social studies education in Arizona.
2. Initiative in establishing a record of service to social studies education.
3. Recognition and acclamation by the social studies community as a "Social Studies Educator."
4. Evidence that their support for social studies programs has had an impact on student learning.
NOMINATION REQUIREMENTS: To be judged by the ACSS Awards Committee, all nominations
must meet the following requirements:
1. Nominations must be typed and include this form as a cover sheet.
2. All nominations must include these elements:
a. A complete résumé/vita for the nominee.
b. A brief statement (no more than 1 page, single-spaced) highlighting the nominee's
record of lifetime achievement in social studies education.
c. Two (2) letters from a supervisor(s), colleague(s), or community member(s) that
provide evidence supporting the nominee's record of lifetime achievement.
3. Current members of the ACSS Board of Directors and the ACSS Awards Committee are not
Complete the following information and return supporting materials to:
ACSS Awards Chair
P.O. Box 24839
Tempe, AZ 85285
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service