At Biomeme we make things. We make hardware; we work with biological organisms; we hack smartphones. We're looking for passionate people who are skilled with their hands and have impeccable attention to detail. You should be a fast learner and not afraid of tackling challenges both big and small. No task is above or below your pay grade.
Biomeme is as interdisciplinary as it gets. We combine rigorous biology and chemistry with best-in-class hardware and software engineering. It's all wrapped up in sublime user design, with the goal of helping our customers enact real-world change. Guided by data and a belief in the iterative process, we develop elegant solutions to complex problems that demand precision.
Our partners and customers span a wide range of industries across the US, Latin America, Africa and Europe. We've got great traction in health: we're testing for STD's in Philadelphia, Malaria and Ebola virus in Africa, Avian Influenza in Europe, veterinary targets in the Andes and Lyme disease in the US. Outside of health, we have partners in industrial water monitoring, aquaculture, agriculture, conservation biology and more. High school students are testing for mislabeled sushi. Quantified Selfers are tracking their microbiome. Everyday users are even testing their own DNA for genetic markers.
We are also currently working to manufacture and distribute COVID-19 test kits in the United States and Canada. It’s a good time to come onboard.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
AS or BS in Engineering or related field
WHO WE ARE:
Biomeme designs and manufactures precision portable instrumentation and test kits for DNA analysis and microbial detection in the field. We are a small but fast-growing company in this emerging tech space. Our products are being deployed in a variety of field settings throughout the world. However, much of our production today is focused on diagnostics to combat the Sars-Cov-2 pandemic at the point of need.
We’re currently seeking a Controls Engineer to join a growing engineering team. The Controls Engineer will ensure that all controls equipment is designed, built, maintained, updated, working efficiently, and programmed to specifications using approved engineering practices and meeting industry standards. They must possess a working knowledge of process development, machine design, and control systems.
• Responsible for technical support, designing, programming, and commissioning of PLC hardware and software on all types of equipment and machinery across the manufacturing network. Typically PLCs are Allen Bradley, but purchased equipment encompasses a variety of languages we need to maintain and implement.
• Ability to critically review, troubleshoot, and improve equipment designs and manage risks.
• Promote adherence to good engineering practices throughout the Engineering department.
• Collaborate with Leadership Team, as needed to implement company-wide improvements and initiatives.
• Maintain and improve electrical manufacturing documentation.
• Create PLC programs for new process equipment, upgrade for existing equipment.
• Create HMI screens for new process equipment and upgrade existing equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or a related field
• 3+ years experience in Controls Engineering
• Self-starter who is well-organized, detail-oriented, creative, and possesses excellent problem-solving skills.
• Strong time management skills; Must be able to handle multiple projects and important issues at one time.
• Proven ability to maintain and manage a dynamically changing schedule and balance overall workloads.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Experience PLC programming (Required: Allen Bradley).
• Experience in project management
• Electrical panel fabrication experience
• Optional: Machine Design, vision systems, Fanuc robots, and IDEC control systems
Due to ITAR compliance, this position requires candidates to be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident Alien, or Protected Individual per 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
Biomeme is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
Upper left corner of the form
Video Cover Letter
Please shoot a short video introducing yourself, tell us what you do now and why you are excited about becoming a part of the Biomeme team.
Use your smartphone or webcam - we aren't looking for polished video's but simply an introduction, be yourself! By short we mean 1-2 min. Upload your video to youtube or vimeo as an unlisted video and share the link with us.
Please submit your resume to
In the subject line: Full Name / Resume / Job Title
i.e. Jane Doe / Resume / Controls Engineer
Please answer the following questions
In one or two sentences please tell us the most impressive thing you have built or achieved.
What was interesting project, preferably outside of work or school that you created?
Submit links to pictures or video if you want to share.
Please tell us about the time you most successfully hacked some (non-computer) system to your advantage.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Biomeme.