1. You must have completed at least TWO (2) full-length television writing courses (at least 3 units each) or ONE (1) advanced level course in the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program between March 2017 and March 2019. We will review your transcripts to ensure compliance. Writers Studio courses count as 3 units.
2. Your television script must have been developed in at least one Writers’ Program course during this time frame, though not necessarily completed. Your instructor will be contacted to verify.
3. Only original television spec scripts of existing series will be considered. We cannot consider documentaries, shorts, web series, etc.
4. Collaborative scripts are eligible provided BOTH collaborators have completed the total requisite number of Writers’ Program courses. The names of all collaborators must be included in the designated field on this application form. Only one application fee is required on collaborative scripts.
5. Scripts that have been sold or optioned before the application deadline are ineligible.
1. Complete and submit this online application form (if you are entering multiple scripts, please submit one form per script).
2. Email one (1) copy of your script (in PDF format, with properly formatted title page) to email@example.com. In the subject line, please write: "TELEVISION SPEC WRITING COMPETITION - YOUR NAME - SERIES TITLE - SPEC EPISODE TITLE - LAST 4 DIGITS OF YOUR PHONE NUMBER." Please label your PDF file name, in caps, like so: "SERIES TITLE - EPISODE TITLE - LAST 4 DIGITS." (ALSO IMPORTANT! Your name and contact information should NOT appear on the title page, or on any other page of the script. Please use the last four digits of your phone number on the title page for identification.
3. Submit the application payment as directed in this online application form. Entries and payment must be received in the office by Monday, April 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM, PST. Only completed applications received on or before the deadline will be considered. Each script must be accompanied by a $50 application fee ($25 for students enrolled in a certificate program between March 2017 and March 2019). Students enrolled in a Master Class or Pro-Series (between March 2017 and March 2019) can submit one script for free, but must pay $25 for each additional submission. Certificate, Specialization, Pro-Series, and Master Class status will be verified. Entry fees are non-refundable, even if you are disqualified.
4. Scripts must be in English and submitted in PDF format only. Each page should be numbered and should total approximately 30-60 pages. Scripts should be submitted in standard spec format in 12-point Courier font. Scripts cannot be returned. No feedback will be given.