Sixth Annual Howard Zinn Book Fair Session Proposal 2019
6th Annual Howard Zinn Book Fair
December 8th, 2019 10am-6pm
City College of San Francisco, Mission Campus
1125 Valencia Street
PROPOSAL DEADLINE: JULY 15, 2019.
(You will hear back from the book fair planning committee by early August.)
SESSION LENGTH: 90min
STRIKE! DISCOVERING OUR POWER
We are pleased to announce that the 6th Annual Howard Zinn Book Fair will take place on December 8, 2019 at CCSF Mission Campus. The theme of this year's book fair is "Strike! Discovering Our Power." We selected this theme to celebrate the ways in which everyday people discover their ability to work together. Inspired by the wave of strikes across the United States in the past year, the massive General Strikes in India, and the recent uprisings in Algeria and Sudan, we expand the idea of the strike to include all of the ways people can take collective action to preserve their homes, protect life on earth, respect indigeneity, shut down the machinery that produces racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and inequality, and build movements that are strong enough to last. The Strike! is not only about withdrawing our labor, but about redirecting it to create a better world.
We will prioritize sessions that speak to theme, but, as always, welcome all proposals that reflect Howard Zinn's legacy of "a people's history".
PLEASE READ BEFORE PROPOSING:
1) There must be a contact person on every proposal who is also appearing in the session. Publishers and agents--please ask your authors to submit their own proposals. Do not upload multiple applications for your authors.
2) The book fair will publish session titles and speaker names on a print program in addition to a brief description on our website. We will only publish text that we are provided and will not edit or write session titles or descriptions ourselves. With that in mind, please double check your entries for spelling, grammar, and accuracy. All submissions will have an opportunity to review and update their session information closer to the event. However, if we do not receive any updates, the info entered below will be used in official event materials.
3) The Book Fair takes place in a Community College, in low-tech classrooms. We do not provide audio or visual equipment under any circumstances. Presenters are responsible for bringing their own equipment if needed. (Screens are in every classroom and are available for use.)
4) We welcome back speakers who have presented in the past, but please do not repeat what you have previously presented.
5) We welcome the passionate exchange of different ideas and strategies. We also require that all of our participants hold themselves up to the highest levels of tact and congeniality.
6) We offer modest stipends to defray the travel costs of those who would not otherwise be able to attend. Stipends are prioritized for those who live outside of California, are lower-income working class, and/or from groups who add to our efforts to remain radically inclusive. Stipend amounts will depend on our fundraising efforts and the number of requests. We will do our best to confirm stipend availability and amount by early September. You can request a travel stipend below.
One Sentence Title of Session
Contact Person (Must be someone who is presenting or facilitating session)
One paragraph description for use on HZBF website (1000 character limit)
Names of Presenter(s)
Brief description of presenter(s) for use on HZBF website
List any pertinent publications written by presenter(s)
Is your session being organized in coordination with a particular publisher or organization?
If so, which publisher or organization?
Are you requesting a travel stipend? (You will be notified in early September about stipend availability and amount)
If you are requesting a travel stipend please list each presenter who will need a stipend and where they are traveling from(e.g. Howard Zinn, Massachusetts)
Any additional details that should be considered by the planning committee?
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service