Vaginal Health in CF Chapter Poll
Thank you for taking this poll! This is to help us write the vaginal health chapter of a resource guide about sexual and reproductive health for women with CF and their providers.
What questions do you want your providers to ask you? Please select up to 4.
1. Oral/IV med talk about Vaginal Yeast Infections and provide treatment options esp if on modulators (talk in the beginning)
2. Understanding how antifungals affect modulators when treating yeast infections
3. Acknowledge sexual and reproductive health as part of our CF. Routinely ask: How many days since last period? Where are you in your cycle? What kind of BC are you on?
5. Have you gotten an HPV vaccine?
6. Have your periods or vaginal health changed post transplant?
7. Have you noticed any meds affecting vaginal dryness or vaginal health post transplant?
8. Has your cervical mucus changed on modulators?
9. Is sex more painful before or after trikafta?
10. What oral/IV meds cause you the most vaginal discharge, pain, problems?
11. Have you noticed any meds to cause more vaginal yeast infections? (asked post-IVs)
12. Have you had any vaginal infections in the last 3 months that required treatment? Did you take OTC or prescribed treatment? Ask at quarterly visit.
Are you having any issues with yeast infections or other vaginal infections?
Any other issues you are having, besides your lungs, that we can discuss?
If you are sexually active, is your partner aware of the impact sex plays with CF?
What information do you want to give or questions do you have for your providers? Please select up to 4.
I get a vaginal yeast infection when I am on XX and have had XX in the past year.
I have had painful pelvic exams because of cervical mucus.
I have painful sex. It seems that I have vaginal dryness/vaginal tightness, how can you help?
I am on a modulator, there are interactions with antifungals for yeast infection treatments.
What does my cervical mucus look like now? Is it different than before? Cervical surface is fragile please be careful if you have to scrap off cervical mucus for this pelvic exam.
Does my pelvic exam change now that I am on a modulator? Less pain/less cervical mucus.
3. I’m having a new or multiple partners. Should I get an STI test?
4. I’m noticing a vaginal change since being on Trikafta. Is this normal?
What peer peer advice is most useful? clever?
Douching can be used to push medication inward.
Hot water can aggravate Bacterial Vaginosis. Be careful about sitting in a hot bath.
Improving your natural flora with Yogurt, Non-dairy yogurt.
Insert acidophilus caplets into vagina.
Avoid public hot tubs (bacterial breeding ground)- also good to avoid due to NTM and bacterial lung infections!
Your vagina is self cleaning. Use unscented and Ph balanced soaps.
pH balanced water (Mountain Valley) might help balance your pH.
Wear cotton underwear and avoid thongs for optimal vaginal health.
Organic tampons and pads might help reduce vaginal health issues.
Boric Acid suppository (Not used during pregnancy) is an OTC remedy fro bacterial vaginosis.
What research would you like to see completed in the future? Please select 4
How does CFRD play a role in chronic yeast infections?
Does a diet low in sugar and dairy, play a role in less yeast infections, CFRD and improve gut health.
How much does our cervical mucus issues play a role in our vaginal health?
More research needs to be done on CF and vaginal health compared to the normal population.
Overuse of antibiotics leads to chronic yeast infections and where does diet play a role in this?
At what age do we start to see vaginal changes in women with CF?
How does being post transplant or on modulators play a role in vaginal health?
Do women with CF have more vaginal discharge? Different kinds of vaginal discharge?
Should our urine be tested on a regular basis?
Do you experience vaginal dryness?
Do you experience pain during sex?
This questions pertains to cervical mucus. Please select all that apply.
Do you have questions about cervical mucus in women with CF?
Do you experience issues with cervical mucus?
Have you noticed a change since starting a modulator?
Do you ever experience yeast infections?
Yes - it is a problem that I have not solved
Yes - I successfully treat them
Never heard of that problem
If yes, when do you get yeast infections?
While on antibiotics
regularly- even when not on antibiotics
If you successfully treat yeast infections, how do you treat them?
I take medicine routinely to prevent them (like diflucan weekly/monthly)
I use an OTC treatment
I use a homeopathic treatment
Please write in any additional resources you have found helpful on vaginal health in CF
Do you have additional questions on CF vaginal health or peer advice to share?
Would you like to write a blog post on this topic? (It may be anonymous) If yes, please leave your email so the team can follow up.
Please leave your email here if you want to be added to the CFReSHC mailing list for updates on future meetings.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of University of Illinois at Chicago.