EMPowered by KCI 2020
EMPowered by KCI is a professional learning program for fourth and fifth grade math teachers.
This program is offered by the Krause Center for Innovation at Foothill College.
The EMPowered by KCI program is a professional learning program for fourth and fifth grade teachers, who teach in California. Teachers explore the eight mathematical practices while also learning how to use computer and web-based technologies to support teaching and learning. After the summer institute, the learning and professional development continues in the academic year program with four EMPowered follow-up sessions designed to help you implement instructional changes, discuss real experiences, develop best practices, build a professional learning community, and address additional math content and technology topics.
We begin in the spring with a one-day orientation (May 16, 2020) to set-up the course expectations and build upon the educational technology platforms used during the program. The summer intensive begins with six face-to-face meetings . There is also a required 24 hours of additional online coursework over the summer. Two additional units (your choice of FASTtech courses) and the four follow-up days (usually a Saturday in October, November, February, and March) wrap up the program.
• You will earn 7.5 (quarter) units from Foothill College, which can help you on your salary schedule (step). Check with your human resources department for more information. This is approximately a $400 value!
• Because this is a donor-funded program, you only pay a $75 non-refundable fee upon acceptance to the program.
• You will be trained by incredibly knowledgeable math instructors throughout the 90-hour program.
• Upon completion of the program in Spring 2021, you will receive a $400 stipend.
• Be a California resident for at least one year prior to orientation.
• Attend the orientation day (5/16/20) all 6 days of face-to-face instruction (July 15-17 and July 20-22) and complete the other 24 hours of the program online by August 21.
• Redesign math lessons or a unit of study during the summer institute that you will then subsequently teach in the Fall quarter.
• Participate in four academic year follow-up sessions (TBD, generally a Saturday in October, November, February, and March)
• Sign up and complete two additional units of FastTECH (LINC) classes during Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and/or Winter 2021 quarters.
• Agree to take the Math Teaching survey before and after the summer institute and again at the end of the program.
• Create an e-portfolio of work that documents teaching practice and student outcomes that the EMPowered team will use to help us determine if the program’s goals have been met.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service