At the end of 2018, Sunrise helped change US politics. Together with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, we made the urgency of the climate crisis known and relentlessly pushed our politicians, like Speaker Pelosi and Senators Durbin and Duckworth, for the solution we need: a Green New Deal. Now, to make the Green New Deal a reality, we must build people power and political power, and work with other movements who stand to benefit from the Green New Deal and whose values we share.
On June 1–2, we are hosting a leadership training to level up Sunrisers in the area with the skills needed to organize others for the change we need. Do you want to grow your facilitation and public narrative skills? Improve your ability to work with partners and build your hub? If so, register for the Sunrise Chicago Leadership Training!
We believe it’s important that the people we invest leadership training in reflect the movement we want to build—a young, multiracial movement that includes people of many different backgrounds. We especially encourage you to apply if you are a person of color or hold other marginalized identities.
>>> WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THIS TRAINING <<<
1. Bond with other Sunrisers in the Chicago area2. Learn hard skills to run Sunrise campaigns to win a Green New Deal locally and nationally3. Gain a deeper understanding of the strategy and theory behind the Green New Deal campaign and Sunrise's approach to hub-building and escalation
>>> TRAINING CRITERIA <<<
1. Graduated from Sunrise 101 or attended an in-person orientation training. We have an orientation training on May 29!Register for an upcoming Sunrise 101 call here: https://www.sunrisemovement.org/trainings (If this will be an issue for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work something out.)2. Committed to holding a role in an active Sunrise hub
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Apply ASAP! Spots are limited.
>>> LOGISTICS <<<
- DO I HAVE TO COME TO BOTH DAYS?: You are highly encouraged to attend both days of the training if you're able, as the training curriculum builds on itself and you will have more opportunities to learn, grow and bond with other attendees. However, if you aren't able to commit to both days, you are still invited to attend (as long as you commit to attending as much of the training as you are able).
- LOCATION: Camp Sullivan, a Cook County Forest Preserve in Oak Forest, IL (about a 35-minute drive from downtown Chicago). We have reserved small cabins with bunked beds for sleepover fun.
- TRANSPORTATION: Camp Sullivan is reachable by CTA Pace Bus 386 from the Midway Airport stop of the Orange Line, and by car. We will be coordinating carpools and group public transit trips for folks.
- DATES: Saturday, June 1 – Sunday, June 2
- TIMES: Saturday, 9am–8pm; Sunday, 9am–6pm
- FOOD: We will provide breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday, as well as snacks, coffee and tea throughout the weekend!
- ACCESSIBILITY: Camp Sullivan is wheelchair accessible, with paved paths and no stairs into the cabins. Each cabin has a ceiling fan, but no AC/Heat, and separate, gendered bathrooms a short distance away. We're committed to making attendance possible for everyone--please let us know what you need to make this training accessible to you!
- HOUSING: If you are coming from out of town and need someplace to stay before or after Saturday night, we will help match you to Sunrise Chicago hosts! You are also welcome to reach out to friends/family of your own and commute from there.
- COST: Sunrise is a new organization run by young people (read: we don't have a lot of money). As such, we ask all participants to pay a suggested registration fee of $20-50 to help us cover the costs of this training (including meals, space, materials, etc.). That said, we do not want cost to be a barrier to anyone—so ultimately, we just ask people to pay what they can. You can pay the registration fee/donation in person or in advance via paypal (paypal.me/SunriseChi) or venmo (@Sunrise-Chicago).
>>> CONTACT INFO <<<For any questions, reach out to John Delurey at email@example.com.