* Provide students a better understanding of their leadership and communication styles.
* Direct students in basic skills development for more effective leadership
* Students gain personal development and organizational skills and improve their leadership competency
* Assist students in becoming effective leaders by providing experiential and practical knowledge.
* Students explore leadership potential and gain leadership experience and confidence.
* Students can improve on skills and skill sets that are important to a wide range of careers
* Students learn how to transfer and apply new skills and knowledge to chosen career fields
* Students with key leadership skills, traits, and knowledge are more marketable for jobs
Choose one of two options:
• Option 1: Students have the option of taking any one of our sixteen workshops
• Option 2: To complete the Passport to Leadership Certificate Program and obtain a Presidential Certificate Award presented to you by the Cal State Dominguez Hills President, a student must complete Sections A, B, C and D (complete a 5-hour experiential component).
Section A: Program Core Workshops - Must take all 3.
• Introduction to Leadership
• Ethical Leadership
• Understanding Diversity, Leadership, In Your role
Section B: Track Core Workshops – Must complete three(3) workshops from Personal Development and Organizational Leadership.
• Communication Styles
• Public Speaking
• Social Type Inventory
• Time Management
• Strength Quest (Online Assessment Required - Inquire for Key Code & Directions)
• Vision & Goal Setting
• Conflict Resolution
• Budget Management
• Recruitment and Retention
• Budget Management
• The Art of Delegation
• Program & Event Planning
• Motivating Your Team
• Advocacy 101
• Running Highly Effective Meeting
• Parlimentary Procedures
Section C: Track Workshops: Choose any two (2)
Elective Track Workshops include: MCC Diversity Chats, MCC Cup of Culture presentations, other conferences, trainings, internships, certification programs.
Section D: Experiential Component
In the experiential component, participants are required to complete a
minimum of five hours of applied leadership putting theory to practice. Experiential components can be any activity that participants are involved in outside the classroom or workshop setting that allows them to apply the skills and knowledge they have gained from their workshop series. This includes campus events, enrollment in UNV 289 or other on/off campus activities. Participants must provide a 2-page reflection paper after the completion of their 5-hour experiential leadership component has been completed.
Experiential Component Policy & Intent and Verification Form
Participants are to complete a minimum of five hours of applied leadership. This can be numerous activities or a single activity that participants are involved in outside the classroom or workshop setting. Five hours are required for each participant. Participants must submit the Intent and Verification Form to Asucena Cervantes Davila for approval before commencing the 5-hour experiential component!
Participants are required to submit this form again with their 2-page reflection paper after the completion of their applied leadership experience. The form must be signed by someone who can verify participation and completion of the minimal five hours. This should be discussed and agreed upon in the approval process.
Both the signed form and reflection essay must be turned in by December 5, 2012 before 5pm to receive a certificate at the end of the semester for Fall Semester Passport to Leadership participation.
For more information contact the Office of Student Life (310)243-2081.