Request edit access
Barrington Area Conservation Trust 2020 Summer Internship Program
OBJECTIVE: This internship provides a hands-on opportunity to explore, learn, and participate in a variety of scientific methods utilized in the environmental field.
PROJECTS MAY INCLUDE: Physical and biological stream monitoring and submission to Riverwatch database; authentic data collection and analysis of preserves; social media posting; invasive plant and native plant species identification; monarch habitat research.
TIME COMMITMENT: (1 week -- select the time that works for you)
June 8-12, M-F 9am-12pm* OR June 8-12, M-F 2-5pm*
*Mandatory attendance at internship presentation night in August(date TBD) at Barrington Area Library from 7-9pm.
The internship provides invaluable experience for your college resume as well as insight into possible career opportunities. You will learn a variety of scientific methods utilized in the environmental field. While this internship is unpaid and you will not earn volunteer hours for this experience, it provides education beyond the classroom, and it is a foundation for future work. BACT does offer a large variety of other fun volunteer opportunies.
LOCATION: BACT office in the Barrington White House at 145 W. Main Street (across from Jewel) or the Pederson Preserve at the corner of Lake Cook Road and Hart Road.
ELIGIBILITY: To be considered, you must be:
- a current high school student, including incoming freshmen through seniors who graduate the spring immediately before the program.
- Must commit to program dates and times.
- As a final evaluation tool, potential participants are required to attend an informal interview.
- Applications due May 1st. A maximum of 5 students will be accepted for each session.
- Once selected, participants will be required to fill out a BACT liability and photo release consent form.
- Free to BACT members
- Or $50 fee which includes BACT annual membership for one adult member of the family once accepted into the program. ($100 family membership also available.) – visit
to join online or mail a check with this form payable to Barrington Area Conservation Trust. Payment due after interview and upon acceptance into the program.
HOW TO APPLY:
Use this application to tell us who you are. In particular, we want to know about your strengths, interests, and experiences in these areas:
- Interest in ecology or environmental
- Experience and interest in spending time outdoors
- Leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Participation with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations
Completed applications must be received by May 6th. Submit application online and mail payment to:
Barrington Area Conservation Trust
145 West Main Street, Suite 201
Barrington, IL 60010
Attn: Susan Lenz
For more information regarding the Barrington Area Conservation Trust, check our our website:
. Contact Susan Lenz at
First and last name
Street, City, State, Zip
Parent or Guardian Name
Parent or Guardian Email
Parent or Guardian Phone
Grade in upcoming school year (2019/2010)
What school do you attend?
Internship date preference
June 10-14 M-F 9am-12pm
June 10-14 M-F 2-5pm
I have no preference and am available either time
How did you hear about this opportunity?
Have you ever participated in any workdays or events with the Barrington Area Conservation Trust?
Whats your story? Write freely about who you are. You can describe how you spend your free time, your goals, and/or challenges.
Have you had any job experience and/or have you volunteered in community service? Describe your experience. How would your coworker or others describe your personality?
Have you been to a natural area (Forest Preserve, State Park, National Park, etc.)? What do you enjoy about the outdoors?
What made you decide to apply for the BACT summer internship program? Why are you interested in habitat restoration?
Any environmental or food allergies?
Send me a copy of my responses.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Barrington Area Conservation Trust.