Presidio Trust Volunteer Docent Position
Position title: Heritage Program – Volunteer Docent
Supervisor: Miriam Manda, Visitor Services Coordinator
Work location: Building 50 (Officers’ Club)
Project commitment: 2 years minimum (includes 6 month training)
Volunteer hours per month: 8 hrs minimum (two 4hr shifts a month)
The Presidio Trust Heritage Program is looking for enthusiastic people who have a passion for the history of the Presidio and San Francisco and a desire to share this knowledge with the public. Docents will lead tours of the historic Officers’ Club and Heritage Gallery located in the Main Post, and serve as ambassadors for the entire Presidio, helping to encourage the public to explore this unique national park.
Successful applicants must have access to email and a computer as most of our training materials will be available online. Docent training runs for 6 months and docents must commit to attending training sessions two weekday evenings per month for the duration of the training. The training program covers a range of subjects including Presidio history, general Presidio information, touring techniques, and training on the exhibits in the Officers’ Club. Class formats include lectures, interactive gallery experiences, workshops, field trips, peer-to-peer modeling, and hands-on activities.
Docents are required to volunteer for two 4-hour shifts a month and will have the option of choosing between morning, mid-day, or afternoon shifts. Final hours of operation are to be determined. Training will be held in the spring of 2014, prior to the Heritage Center opening in the fall.
Docents will be asked to perform the following tasks:
• Greet and welcome the public to the Officers’ Club
• Lead tours of the Officers’ Club and Heritage Gallery
• Answer questions about the Presidio, the Heritage Program, the Presidio Trust, and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area
• Use tablet technology to enhance visitor experience
• Orient visitors to the Presidio, Heritage Sites and help them get out into the park
• Basic computer knowledge
• Comfortable with web searches
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Enjoy interacting with the public
Docents will receive the following:
• Resource materials
Benefits to the Volunteer:
• Make new friends and join a team who share similar interests
• Attend monthly docent gatherings where volunteers will have the opportunity to socialize with other docents and Heritage
• Have access to Park Academy classes for free
• Learn about the park and its history
• Receive insider knowledge about the Presidio’s history, operations and collections
Please fill out and submit the application below. We will contact you shortly after receiving your application to follow-up with you.
Questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415)-561-2750.