The purpose of the Ruffin/Edwards Academic Development Scholarship (READS) is to provide scholarships for college or technical school to residents of Durham Housing Authority’s public housing communities.
Applicants must meet all the criteria below to be considered for a scholarship:
1. Must be a resident of public housing and be named as an occupant on the current lease prior to submitting
2. Must be a high school graduate or have a completed General Education Diploma (G.E.D)
3. An acceptance letter from a college or university.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must submit the following information:
1. A completed application form.
2. An official transcript, report card or diploma of coursework and grades for the last school attended.
3. One typed letter of recommendation from someone who knows you (example: school counselor, teacher,
employer, pastor, neighbor, family friend or community leader)
4. A one page typed (300 words minimum) personal statement (essay) indicating “Why You Wish to Continue
Your Education” The personal statement should include your educational and career goals and need for
5. A copy of your completed Student Aid Report or Institution bill.
6. Describe a community service project/activity you will complete/perform as a way of giving back to the
community during the period for which the scholarship applies.
*Applications are received on an ongoing basis; however, applicants should submit all materials by June 15th.
The following criteria will be considered when selecting recipients:
1. Prior academic performance, personal achievements, school involvement, and community involvement.
2. Commitment to and demonstrated potential for success in college or technical school.
3. Financial need as determined by the cost of college attendance compared with an applicant’s household
income and other financial factors.
*Recipients may be asked to attend a personal interview prior to receiving a scholarship.
Scholarships award amounts will vary depending on available funds, with a maximum award of $1500.00 per school year. Scholarships are awarded for one year only, but renewal is possible if funds are available and satisfactory progress is maintained. Scholarships are awarded without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or national origin.
SUBMIT ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS TO:
Ruffin/Edwards Academic Scholarship
Attn: Resident Services Department
330 East Main Street, PO Box 1726
Durham, NC firstname.lastname@example.org