---------------------------------------2019 March 26 Tuesday
Dear Members of the UC Berkeley Search Committee for the Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies,
It has come to our attention that Dr. Lisandro Claudio may be under consideration for a position at U.C. Berkeley. Such a prospect causes us great concern since Dr. Claudio is on record as naming or outing individuals, including students at his previous campus Ateneo de Manila University (1), on the basis of their leftwing perspectives or affiliations in a political climate (2) in the Philippines that makes such conduct highly dangerous for those singled out in this way.
Given the current repressive political climate (3) we experience in the Philippines, abetted by a regime of fear produced from the well-documented state-sponsored extrajudicial killings (4), such public outing has lethal consequences. Trade unionists (5), civil society activists (6), and student leaders (7) have been surveilled by state agents, imprisoned, disappeared or killed as a result of such accusations. Even short of its potentially lethal consequences in the Philippines, such singling out of students’ political opinions and affiliations inevitably produces a hostile learning environment. The polarizing effects of red-tagging, in which Dr. Claudio willfully and proudly engages, can be poisonous for an academic community.
In general, scholars and activists in the Philippines recognize the danger of red-tagging students given the complicated nuances of activism in a country that has long endured military governments, propped up by U.S. Cold War policy, that use anti-Communism as a whip against dissent. Dr. Claudio has been one of the astonishingly reckless voices in the academe who unambiguously tags organizations, leaders, students, and ordinary activists despite the peril of such tagging. We understand his political views align with his red-baiting; but it is his recklessness that concerns us. In what seems like pure McCarthyism (8), Dr. Claudio has said about his tagging of students whose political affiliation with communism is ambiguous: “These things are kind of open secrets and in a democracy, we won’t prosper if we speak in euphemisms.” According to Dr. Claudio, “Democracy prospers through transparent language because it’s the kind of language that allows people to know what they’re getting into.”
At the same time, the current regime’s salvaging (9) of red-tagged activists has climbed to 222 political deaths as of December 2018, with at least 85,000 cases of threat, harassment and intimidation, 111 incidents of torture, and more than 2,000 incidents of illegal arrests.
This dire situation for political activists against Duterte’s regime is not quite the democracy we desire.
Dr. Claudio’s public voice against activists (10), at times also surprisingly juvenile, even Dutertean, such as calling communists “morons” (11), in effect becomes consonant with the regime’s fascism (12): he ends up echoing President Duterte, and even reposted by Duterte supporters. Though this may not be the intent, nor the most toxic aspect of his acts, the effect is truly a matter of concern (13).
Our concern with Dr. Claudio lies with heedless conduct that endangers colleagues and students whose academic freedom and freedom of expression we are as scholars, writers, artists and teachers bound to defend. To give his voice a platform in a university such as yours amplifies that danger: your university’s prestige would give weight to language that can limit and endangers legitimate activism and protest in an already dire Philippines. We are aware that our plight might not be viscerally relevant to you, but we know the danger of Dr. Claudio’s carelessness. In the U.S. such carelessness might lead only to a Twitter-fight, which in the academic world can be problem enough. But in the Philippines, red-tagging can lead to death. As scholars, teachers, writers, artists and activists in and from the Philippines, we continue to fight both the Duterte government and heedless voices like Dr. Claudio’s that, wittingly or not, aid state oppression.
We urge the committee to review Dr. Claudio’s record carefully before proceeding further with consideration of his candidacy. We look forward to hearing your response.
(1) http://www.theguidon.com/1112/main/2017/05/kabataan-party-list-founds-katipunan-chapter-ateneo/(2) https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/philippines-activists-increasingly-face-living-hell(3) https://www.karapatan.org/Rights+groups+seek+CHR+investigation+on+increasing+incidents+of+red-tagging%2C+terrorist-labelling(4) https://www.hrw.org/report/2017/03/02/license-kill/philippine-police-killings-dutertes-war-drugs(5)https://www.thenation.com/article/the-philippines-drug-crackdown-is-creating-an-atmosphere-of-impunity-for-anti-union-violence/(6) https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/01/17/philippines-crackdown-against-critics-intensifies(7) https://www.esquiremag.ph/long-reads/features/jovito-palparan-victims-witnesses-a1687-20180917-lfrm5(8) https://www.pinoyweekly.org/2017/12/leloy-mccarthy/(9) https://www.karapatan.org/Rights+groups+file+complaints+vs.+government+on+increasing+incidents+of+red-tagging%2C+terrorist-labelling+at+the+NDFP-GRP+JMC(10) https://www.facebook.com/notes/kabataan-partylist-katipunan/on-cheap-tactics-of-political-repression-and-red-baiting/235478420266021/(11) https://www.facebook.com/DuterteToday/photos/basw.Abo2iAjCsjYhGGK7EZby3Vj-ya9rA8FJmrQ4Ne5PMIoJzHn2Wu_Qj3zyn3ZcjOQ3T5TKcBZhqCjt4nGYAz9WnKQbGl06qVz4odXI4ROzHF_f1Oju1zW5c_LjHjrBgq66EsV1-aRu2mmmHIBO2OsfKg2P.10155366354746379.10212808071109504.10154953540375877.10202669841654188/10155366354746379/?type=1&opaqueCursor=AbpyrKTfBJOyRjuhppUeN6-1DRWYHBax8DxyQw0WCjGm2GKghZkIsM9ZEzg3uUEfdJN5MwFgshCD29g6RoPnhosTotKJL44Xm397e4_Rku4vGs5YPSc_MXoVguBV0LFjeCEjx7kTaOxaFgcViRA-vZSh5OCJr6mznN_qdZyzqmrtK37SsMlL_bZ-TbTWcEiITaLnbn9uYmQAU_VInyYfIo6Nkyo7Ny46-bbbP6EALsQngpddzvelQMTN_kYSs7xkdwWxrPS1V_hiAvvXQ3XwRPkgFFnyyV5Y3qqTyf4S-l-bOPxuxUoD4ctC_eQNdIYdwve6JelWRwX0i8AdbYperVNDzVIjOph9EELK_RvLqMTaUFInfOR-U3Lo0k5L5ZV9ccHyxDBKj3wWncsh9JDnXriM32Z4fKqFhWA61jy8-ZN2uKFi7fQVWT9zZIJPq_PqldOS6M-_cgDXO8-k1QDSlkeTbDkdzEw9KCDkchg4nua5XWT0P3dX6Lq_KGwuSGvzIC243zbYt2luqhZ9sxf4fMV0udy9xegSa7YJSznQHA6iUR0PevpgnoZne_EGbdm0vaPmZXhXX1mKyXRBF3mfmKU5&theater(12) https://www.telesurenglish.net/opinion/Anti-Communist-PSYOP-in-the-Philippines-20171214-0007.html(13) https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=leloy%20claudio%20red%20baiting&epa=SEARCH_BOX
1. Gina Apostol, Novelist, author of Insurrecto & Gun Dealers’ Daughter, New York2. Gary C. Devilles, Chair, Filipino Dept, Ateneo de Manila University, Metro Manila3. Francis A. Gealogo, Ateneo de Manila University, Professor of History, Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City4. Karl Castro, artist and designer, Concerned Artists of the Philippines, Quezon City5. Donna Miranda, Sama-samang Artista para sa Kilusang Agraryo (Artist Alliance for Genuine Agrarian Reform and Rural Development), Quezon City6. Dylan Rodríguez, Professor, University of California at Riverside, California 7. Arnold P. Alamon, Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology, Iligan City8. Gonzalo Campoamor II , Associate Professor, University of the Philippines, Quezon City9. Romulo P. Baquiran, Jr., University of the Philippines, Quezon City10. Laurence Marvin Castillo, Assistant Professor, University of the Philippines Los Baños and Graduate Researcher, University of Melbourne11. Joy Sales, Ph.D. Candidate, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 12. David Michael San Juan, De La Salle University, Manila13. Janette M. Silva, University of the Philippines Los Baños, Philippines14. Jheimeel Valencia, Graduate student, U of the Philippines, San Jose del Monte, Philippines15. Louise Jashil Sonido, Member, Congress of Teachers and Educators for Nationalism and Democracy (CONTEND-UP), Quezon City16. Katherine Rose Medina, Concerned Artists of the Philippines, Manila17. Thea Kersti Tandog, Instructor, University of Southern Mindanao, Kabacan, North Cotabato18. Roselle Pineda, Congress of Teachers/Educators for Nationalism and Democracy, Quezon City19. John Carlo Cabilao, Faculty, University of the Philippines Los Baños, Los Baños, Laguna20. Amado Anthony G. Mendoza III, Departamento ng Filipino at Panitikan ng Pilipinas, U of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City21. Epoy Deyto, Filmmaker, Critic, Pasig City22. Jose Ruben Garcia, Ateneo de Manila, Parañaque23. Julienne M. Urrea, University of the Philippines, Los Baños, Laguna24. Kristine Camille Sulit, Far Eastern University, Quezon City25. Carlo Cielo, U of the Philippines, Film Institute, Mandaluyong26. Moises P. Jusoy, Member of Congress of Teachers/Educators for Nationalism and Democracy, Philippines27. Josh Paradeza, Writer, Quezon City28. Karlo Mikhail Mongaya, Department of Filipino and Philippine Literature, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City29. Jay Topacio Sebastian, Medium: FILM, Manila30. Mich Calleja Lado, Essayist, creative writer and poet, Quezon City31. Vic Teano, PWU - JASMS QC, Quezon City, Philippines32. Arby Medina, Fiction writer, Las Piñas, Philippines33. Gerardo M. Lanuza, Department of Sociology, Quezon City34. Alyssa Danielle R. Navarro, Bulacan State University, Malolos City, Bulacan35. Janssen Cunanan, Fiction writer, Manila36. Sheila Abarra Rebel Kule, University of the Philippines-Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines37. Ian Porquia, BIEN Philippines, Makati38. Rowell Madula, Associate Professor, De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines39. Amparo Adelina C. Umali, III, Coordinator, East and Southeast Asian Studies, Center for International Studies, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City40. Ryan Cezar O. Alcarde, Poet, Quezon City41. Moses O. Villanueva, Instructor, University of the Philippines -Los Baños, Laguna42. Geniska Ybañez, CONTEND-U of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City43. Leah Mae Aportadera, Ateneo de Davao University, Davao City44. Paul Belisario, Student, University of the Philippines, Quezon City45. Nicolo B. Bongolan, Kabataan Partylist, Quezon City46. Glenn Cabradilla, U of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon city47. Jose Abelardo Torio, Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City48. Joaquin Singson, Essayist and art critic, Quezon City49. Kenneth G. Pabilonia, Graduate student, University of the Philippines Diliman, Baliwag, Bulacan50 Jeffrey Santa Ana, Associate Professor, SUNY Stony Brook, New York51. Arvin Dimalana, MA Anthropology Student, University of the Philippines Diliman - Department of Anthropology, Quezon City52. Phoebe Zoe Maria Sanchez, Professor, University of the Philippines, Cebu City, Philippines53. Lianne Palmenco, University of the Philippines - Diliman, Quezon City54. Claire Michaela Obejas, University of the Philippines Cebu / College Editors Guild of the Philippines, Cebu City55. MJ Rafal, KM64 Writers Collective, Manila56. Jhoan Villanueva, Executive Vice President, College Editors Guild of the Philippines, Manila57. Mary Barby P. Badayos-Jover, University of the Philippines Iloilo58. Nar Athena Mae Porlas, University of the Philippines Cebu Cebu City59. Elmer Jover, U of the Philippines, Iloilo, Iloilo City60. Terence Repelente, Writer, Panday Sining, Philippines61. Tonyo Cruz, Blogger and columnist, Manila Bulletin, Manila62. Christel Kimberly Cantillas, Poetry, Baguio City63. Regletto Aldrich Imbong, Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of the Philippines Cebu, Cebu City64. Bianca Pamfilo, Ateneo De Manila University, Quezon City65. Adrian Mendizabal, Graduate student, UP Film Institute, Quezon City66. Nickky de Guzman, College of St. Benidle, Philippines67. Adrian Romero, University of Santo Tomas, Manila68. Paulo Benedicto Villar, Assistant Professor, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Manila69. Lyka Pacleb, Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City70. Emerrie Fegarido, Graduate Student, Master in Philippine Studies, Asian Center, University of the Philippines, Diliman Quezon City71. Luna Sicat Cleto, U of the Philippines, Diliman Quezon City 72. Allan Mesina, University of the Philippines Manila, Philippines73. Joyce D. Caubqt, Philippine Normal University, Manila74. Dominic Paul Chow Sy, Instructor, Department of English and Comparative Literature, University of the Philippines Diliman, Metro Manila75. Marisol Alfaro, Metro Manila College, Valenzuela76. Jules Abraham De Leon, Artist, Philippines77. Lakan Umali, Writer and cultural worker, Davao City78. Francezca Kwe, University of the Philippines, Manila79. Jose Monfred C. Sy, University of the Philippines - Department of English and Comparative Literature, Quezon City80. Ma. Chriztina A. Madlangbayan, Gabriela Youth - UP Manila, Makati City81. Jerwin Baure, University of the Philippines, Quezon City82. Wynona Coleen Wong, Cultural worker, RESBAK, Philippines 83. Rommel Rodriguez, Associate Professor University of the Philippines, Diliman, Philippines84. Yves Nibungco, Coordinator, Malaya Movement, San Diego, CA85. Angel Rose Trocio, Women's Resource Center of Visayas, Inc., Cebu City86. Ivan Emil A. Labayne, Freelance Writer (Poetry, Criticism and Journalism), Baguio87. Lance Espejo, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Marikina88. Tito Quiling, Jr., University of Santo Tomas, Manila89. Lovely Ramos, U of the Philippines, Diliman, Manila90. Samantha M. Del Castillo, University of the Philippines, Quezon City91. Julianne Marie Leybag, GABRIELA Network of Professionals, Taguig City92. Ivah Capinig, Visual artist/writer, Migrante International, Quezon City93. Alden Santiago, SAKA - Sama-samang Artista para sa Kilusang Agraryo (Artist Alliance for Genuine Land Reform and Rural Development | Philippines), Quezon City94. Karlo Antonio, Watchmendaily journal, Negros Occidental95. Kate Lim, Freie Universitat, Philippines/Germany96. Katrina Tan, University of the Philippines, Los Baños, Laguna97. Richard Cornelio, Associate Editor, Rebel Kule, Pasay City98. Jan Andrei Cobey, Student, filmmaker, artist, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City99. Jeffrey P. Mancera, Assistant Professor, University of the Philippines, Manila100. Cris Apolinario L. Demigillo, University of the Philippines - Diliman
101. Mark, zine creator, Makô, Quezon City102. Ryan Martinez, UP Diliman, Undergraduate Department of Sociology -UP Diliman, Diliman,Quezon City103. Michael Padlan, Anakbayan National, Manila104. Karl Bruno P. Abenojar, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City105. Arnel M. Mardoquio, Filmmaker, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia106. Rafael Antonio A. Dulce, Kalipunan ng Damayang Mahihirap (Kadamay) Quezon City107. Rogelio Braga, Playwright and novelist, Manila108. Mykel Andrada, PhD, University of the Philippines - Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines109. Sharon Briones Pangilinan, University of the Philippines, Quezon City110. JC Sibayan, University of the Philippines - Diliman, Floridablanca, Pampanga111. Crimson Labinghisa, Kabataan Partylist Iloilo, Iloilo City112. Paul Nikko Degollado, Photography Editor - The Red Chronicles, student publication of San Beda College Alabang School of Law,Muntinlupa113. Pia Aila Martinez, University of the Philippines, Visayas, Iloilo114. Rea Guiloreza, Kabataan, Iloilo115. Kristine Ong Muslim, short story writer, Maguindanao, Philippines116. Hannah Grace Santillan, National Council of Churches in the Philippines, Quezon City117. Mary Christine S. Sacay, University of the Philippines, College of Mass Communication, Taguig118. Luisa Narciso, Writer, Antipolo City119. Jeconiah Louis Dreisbach, Lecturer, De La Salle Araneta University, Philippines and Graduate student, De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines120. Emmanuel V. Dumlao, University of the Philippines Los Banos121. Roche Christine C. Angeles, HZB School of International Relations and Diplomacy, Manila City122. John Paul Marcelino, University of the Philippines, Iloilo123. Jennifer Sinco, University of Southern Mindanao, North Cotabato124. Arbeen "Tilde" Acuna, Dept. of Filipino & Philippine Literature - University of the Philippines; columnist - DavaoToday, Quezon City125. Sheryl Alapad, University of the Philippines, Quezon City126. Carol P. Araullo, Chair, BAYAN, Quezon City, Philippines127. Daine Rhythm G. Daling, Musician, Quezon City128. Aura Mae Agbay, NKE - U of the Philippines, Cebu, Cebu City129. Josen Diaz, Assistant Professor, University of San Diego, CA130. Simeon Gabriel F. Bejar, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City131. Valerie Francisco-Menchavez, Assistant Professor, San Francisco State University, CA132. Clod Yambao, University of the Philippines Diliman, Research Fellow of Conflict Research Group, Ghent University Belgium 133. Nicholas doliber, San Francisco State University, CA134. Eric Clanton, Berkeley worker, lapsed academic, prison abolitionist, California135. Irma Bajar, GABRIELA USA, Oakland, CA136. Nathan Eisenberg, Reed College, CA137. Elaine Villasper, Filipino Community Center, San Francisco CA 138. Nenita Domingo, Lecturer, UCLA139. John Blanco, Associate professor, University of California, San Diego, California140. Angeli Louise Cando, Activist, Cebu City141. China De Vera, University of the Philippines, Manila142. Ricardo L. Punzalan, Associate Professor, University of Maryland-College Park143. Sarita Echavez See, Professor, U of California-Riverside144.. Nerissa Balce, Associate Professor, SUNY Stony Brook, NY145. Maria Ima Carmela L. Ariate, MA Student Asian Studies, UP, Asian Center146. Michael Viola, Assistant professor, Saint Mary’s College of California147. Roland Tolentino, Director, University of the Philippines Creative Writing Center148. Judy Taguiwalo, former University of the Philippines Faculty Regent149. Lisa Ito, University of the Philippines, College of Fine Arts150. Jun Cruz Reyes, fictionist, University of the Philippines - Diliman, professor 151. Conchitina Cruz, Associate professor, University of the Philippines - Diliman152. Angelo V. Suarez, Sama-samang Artista Para sa Kilusang Agraryo (Artist Alliance for Genuine Agrarian Reform and Rural Development) & Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas153. Marlon Sales, Postdoc Fellow, University of Michigan154. Rowena Tomaneng, President of Berkeley City College, California155. Mae Urtal Caralde, Lecturer De La Salle University, Taft, Manila156. Oscar Tantoco Serquiña, Jr., Assistant professor, University of the Philippines - Diliman157. Fidelito C. Cortes, writer, Long Island, New York158. Robyn M. Rodriguez, Professor, U of California - Davis159. Daryll Delgado, writer; stakeholder engagement program director, Verite Southeast Asia 160. Adam David, Co-organiser, Better Living Through Xerography, Manila161. Nicolas Pichay, Playwright, Manila162. Ralph Peña, Artistic Director, Ma-Yi Theater Company, New York163. Erina Alejo, Educator and Artist, San Francisco, CA164. Momo Manalang, Columbia University165. Alvin Malana, Anakbayan Southern Tagalog166. Eliza Noh, Professor, Cal State Fullerton 167. Gabrielle Sibal, Student, California State University, Dominguez Hills168. Akbarian, The Ohio State University - African American & African Studies Dept169. Trista Barrantes, San Mateo County Community College District170. Vernadette Vicuña Gonzalez, Associate professor, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa 171. Debjani Chakravarty, Utah Valley University- Sociology 172. Susana Loza, Associate Professor of Critical Race, Gender, and Media Studies, Hampshire College 173. Renz Grospe, Anakbayan Canada, Chairperson 174. Kim Compoc, Postdoc, Asian Am Studies, Univ of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign 175. Cristina Rey, University of San Francisco, Graduate Student 176. Malaya Arevalo, Malaya Movement, Coordinator, San Jose, CA 177. Tina Shauf-Bajar, UC Berkeley, Alumnus 2004 178. Nadine Guyo, Seattle University / Anakbayan 179. Justin Phan, University of California, Riverside. Ethnic Studies and Southeast Asian Studies. PhD student. 180. S. Lily Mendoza, Associate Professor, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan 181. Kale B. Fajardo, Associate Professor of Asian/American Studies, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities 182. Edwin Liam, Anakbayan Silicon Valley Chairperson183. Leny Strobel, Professor Emeritus, American Multicultural Studies, Sonoma State University 184. Jhoanna Lynn Cruz, Associate Professor, U of the Philippines Mindanao, Davao City 185. Perry Aliado, Assistant Professor, Mathematics Dept., Contra Costa College, CA 186. Gabrielle Pascua Student, UC Berkeley; Member, Anakbayan East Bay 187. Erin Nguy, Anakbayan East Bay 188. Mika Decena, Gabriela Oakland 189. Scott Cooper, University of San Francisco 190. Katrina Liwanag, San Francisco State University; BAYAN-Northern California; SOMA Pilipinas, San Francisco Filipino Cultural Heritage District, Community Organizer 191. Eliza Romero, Malaya Movement DMV/Baltimore192. Jesse Edward Docena, San Francisco State University/Anakbayan East Bay 193. Victor Mendoza, UC Berkeley Alum, Associate Professor, Women's Studies and English, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 194. Peter Chua, Professor of Sociology, San Jose State University 195. Mary Anne Manumpil, UC Berkeley Alum, Class of 2013/ Malaya Movement 196. Vivian Zalvidea Araullo197. E.J. Pavia, Philippines-U.S. Solidarity Organization (PUSO) East Bay 198. Wesley Ueunten, Professor, SF State Univ, Asian American Studies Dept 199. Ryan Leano, Lecturer, California State University, Fullerton 200. Sony Coráñez Bolton, Amherst College
201. Soleil David, Graduate Student, Indiana University, Bloomington 202. Arcelita Imasa, Medical Doctor, Hawaii 203. Danielle Johnson, Student, PUSO De Anza College, Anakbayan Silicon Valley 204. Liza Mamedov, Student, UC Berkeley 205. Jen Abella, GABRIELA Oakland 206. Michael Paradela, Anakbayan Silicon Valley 207. Laura Coelho, Berkeley graduate 2010, GABRIELA oakland member 208. Julian Jaravata, Stanford University Alumnus 209. Elaine Villasper, Filipino Community Center 210. Marienne Cuison, Malaya 211. Roberta Ryan, Migrante NorCal 212. Mara Castillo, William Paterson University (Alum) 213. Mario de Mira 214. Ruthie Arroyo, New Jersey City University, Kabataan Alliance, community organizer 215. Yaminah Lunar, Migrante Napa Solano 216. Narissa Lee, San Francisco Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines 217. Nicollette Morales, Napa Valley College: Adjunct Faculty Filipino American Studies 218. Maricon Malimban, San Francisco State University 219. Nikki Salde-Azzam, National Ecumenical Forum for Filipino Concerns - Northern California 220. Kira Salde-Azzam, ICHRP Northern California Regional Coordinator 221. Brendon Escalona, San Francisco State University 222. Jocelyn Tabancay Duffy, UC Berkeley, Enrolled student in Graduate School of Journalism, GABRIELA Oakland member 223. Brandon J. Reilly, Assistant Professor in History, Santa Monica College 224. Kevin C. McDonald, Philippines-U.S. Solidarity Organization (PUSO) East Bay 225. Jean-Paul deGuzman, Lecturer, Asian American Studies/Interracial Dynamics, UCLA; UC-AFT, Local 1990 226. Raquel Redondiez, San Francisco Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines 227. Chay Tadeo, GABRIELA Oakland 228. Cristina Edwards, UC Staff 229. Louie Sawie, New York Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines 230. Petra Magno, Chair, GABRIELA New York 231. Blaine Agustin, California History Center, De Anza College 232. Elliott Fukui, In Solidarity 233. Judith Mirkinson, President, SF/Bay Area National Lawyers Guild 234. Mary Susan Gat, Rev. Dr. Mary Susan Gast, Chair, National Ecumenical-Interfaith Forum for Filipino Concerns--NorCal 235. Ellen Brotsky, UC Berkeley Graduate, 1989 236. Rachel Herzing, Center for Political Education 237. Lyle Prijoles, National Education Officer, Anakbayan-USA238. Michelle Thiele, GABRIELA New York (Education Co-Chair) 239. Pam Tau Lee, Chinese Progressive Association - SF, International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines US 240. Antoinette Chen See, East Bay Resident 241. KP Peralta, Organizational Development Officer, New York Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines 242. Aliya Karmali, Law Office of Aliya Karmali243. Katie Loncke, Buddhist Peace Fellowship (Co-Director) 244. Constance Beutel, Dr. (Ms.) Beutel 245. Danielle Luz Belanger, UC Berkeley Alumni, History of Art; GABRIELA Oakland 246. Kim Garcia, UC Berkeley alumni, GABRIELA Oakland member member 247. Precious Arney, GABRIELA USA, Seattle, WA 248. Terry Fletcher, UC Alumna 249. Michael Kaufman, UCLA / USC; Communities for a Better Environment 250. Eleanor Gottesman, MD retired 251. Diana Block, California Coalition for Women Prisoners 252. Marge Sussman, Year 253. Katherine Conchada, Vice Chairperson, GABRIELA South Bay; Faculty Professional Development, Long Beach City College 254. Micah Bazant, Berkeley Resident 255. Rev. Roger Straw, Minister, United Church of Christ USA 256. Richard Chhuon, UCLA 257. Kayla Quan, GABRIELA New York 258. Tiffany Mendoza, San Francisco State University; League of Filipino Students-SFSU 259. R Michael Flynn, Principal Attorney at Flynn Law Office 260. Harvey Bender, Harvey Bender attorney (retired) 261. Lauren Dela Paz Bollinger, GABRIELA-Los Angeles 262. James Perez, UC Berkeley, Alum c/o 2015 263. Rob Yanagida, Attorney264. Kathryn Poethig, Global Studies, CSU Monterey Bay 265. Devi Peacock, Peacock Rebellion 266. Joy Liu, Design Action Collective and Come Bien Books 267. Ariana Rodriguez, GABRIELA-Los Angeles 268. David Makofsky, Retired, Ethnic Minorities Studies Center, beojing 269. Emma L, California Coalition for Women Prisoners 270. Austin Truong, apienc 271. Martha Larsen, Concerned citizen 272. Megan Zapanta, GABRIELA - Oakland 273. Xenia Arriola, Xenia Arriola, Long Beach Unified Classified Employee, Gabriela South Bay 274. Miguel Valencia, Member, Critical Resistance 275. Eli Isaacs, Oakland Resident 276. Kirsten Joie Ignacio, University of California, Berkeley/Graduate Student 277. Tim Huey, Saint Mary's College of California alum 278. Emma Buhain, Barnard College / GABRIELA New York 279. Andrew Ligeralde, PhD Candidate, Biophysics, UC Berkeley 280. Shari Williams, UC Davis Alumni /Anakbayan East Bay 281. Love Jordan, GABRIELA Chicago 282. Marianne Tassone, Network of Oberlin Asian Alumni 283. Kathlyn Oco, Doctor of Occupational Therapy, GABRIELA-Chicago 284. Judy Venturanza, Gabriela NY / Migrante Youth NY 285. Pyxie Castillo, GABRIELA USA 286. Ulises Magallon, UC Berkeley Alumni 287. Susana Cáceres, Nonprofit Strategic Consultant 288. Megan Whelan, GABRIELA-Oakland 289. Niño Laput, Filipino Student Society - Wayne State University; Anakbayan Detroit Chapter Organizing Committee 290. Victoria Hom, UC Berkeley student of Ethnic Studies/Laney College alum 291. Lex Soto, Licensed Master Social Worker 292. Nicole Naramura, MS Nursing Candidate, UCSF 293. Alex Chen, UC Davis 294. Jessica Peregrina, UC Berkeley Alumnus 295. Noel Lawrence, American father 296. Eliza Sherpa, California Coalition for Women Prisoners 297. Hunter King, Member of California Coalition for Women Prisoners, Oakland Resident 298. Annie Paradise, California Coalition for Women Prisoners 299. Kristie Navarro, Gabriela New York 300. Semi Cole, UC Riverside ‘19, ASUCR President
301. Manny g, Finance 302. Abet Mabilangan, Writer, Poet, GABRIELA-Chicago 303. Tova Fry, Peoples Alliance - Bay Area 304. Gerardo Ochoa, Member, Anakbayan East Bay 305. Yasser Khan, UC Berkeley Alumni 306. Jennifer Beach, San Francisco State University Lecturer 307. Eliana Rubin, Goddard College 308. Jeannel Poyaoan, Northern California Pilipinx American Student Alliance, San Francisco, CA 309. Ruby Wara-Goss, Mental Health Therapist 310. Andres Medrano, UC alumni 311. Alok Vaid-Menon, Artist 312. Susana Guzman, Professional Engineer 313. Sarah Leadem, U.C. Berkeley Alumni, Graduate of Dept of Ethnic Studies 314. Eileen Ramos, GABRIELA New York 315. Marybeth Salem, San Francisco State University (staff member at Department of Sociology and Sexuality, and member of the League of Filipino Students at SFSU) 316. Alex Mabanta, President, Pilipino American Law Society, UC Berkeley School of Law 317. Jack Stephens, Truck Driver, Shop Steward, Teamsters Local 2785 318. Peter Shapiro, Oakland CA 319. Alex Magsano, Coordinator, Wayside UMC Church&Society 320. Reina Cabezas 321. Nicole Marie Malazarte, Social Work, WSGS and Southeast Asian studies at Loyola University Chicago, GABRIELA Chicago 322. Aris Valdez, Anakbayan San Diego 323. Rev. Sadie Stone, Pastor, Bethany United Methodist church / Cal-Nev Philippine Solidarity Task Force 324. Luat Nguyen, San Jose State EE 325. Fulleh Mansour, Students for Justice in Palestine UC Berkeley 326. Diyala Shihadih, UC Berkeley PhD candidate in Metabolic Biology 327. Nadya Raja, Resident of Berkeley, CA 328. Alvin Ja, UCBerkeley alumni, Class of 1971 329. Maisa Morrar, Palestinian Youth Movement 330. Nicole Guirre, University of Southern California 331. Jassmin Poyaoan, Clinical Instructor, Berkeley Law; 2011 B.A., UC Berkeley Law Students for Justice in Palestine 332. Hyejin Shim, UC San Diego alumni 333. Alvin Ja, UCBerkeley alumni, Class of 1971, Sociology 334. Charles Ramilo, Migrante Daly City 335. Michael Song, PhD Candidate, University of California Berkeley 336. Dean T. Alegado Retired Professor, Ethnic Studies Department and Center for Philippine Studies, University of Hawaii 337. Sam Ochi, Founding member of Maxim Integrated Products 338. Faith Wellington, International Solidarity Officer, GABRIELA New York 339. Gregory Jue, UC Berkeley alumnus, 1972340. Kimberly Conchada, NYU M.A. Candidate, Food Studies 341. Dr. Nina Michel Genera, Professor Emeritus, Ohlone College, UC Berkeley Alum 342. Harvey Dong, Lecturer, Asian American and Asian Diaspora Studies, UC Berkeley 343. Carol Anne McChrystal, GABRIELA-Los Angeles 344. Veronica Quijano, Gabriela Southbay 345. Gwen Bautista, Writer and Independent Curator, Manila Philippines 346. Penny Rosenwasser, Ph.D., instructor, City College of San Francisco 347. Anna Miramontes, UC Berkeley Social Welfare major 348. Priya Handa, Community Muralist 349. Christian Guerrero, UC Berkeley Student 350. Alisa de los Reyes, GABRIELA Oakland 351. Angela Tulio Chairperson, Anakbayan Santa Cruz 352. William Yang, UC Santa Cruz 353. Jared Semana, UCSC undergraduate, Anakbayan Santa Cruz 354. Asehli Howe California State University East Bay & Survivor Alliance 355. Jessica-May Pamatian, University of California, Berkeley Social Welfare & American Studies (Child Development and Education) 356. Ana Rivera, CSUEB 357. Maria Bates Colmenar, Pierce College, Professor 358. David Spero, Jewish Voice for Peace 359. Jenina Yutuc, Interdisciplinary Studies in Architecture and Public Health, University of California, Berkeley 360. Aian Mendoza, UC Riverside alumni 361. Megan Rose Dominguez, OTR/L Gabriela Los Angeles 362. Sharif Zakout, Resident of San Francisco 363. Kerina Koch, GABRIELA Oakland 364. alizarin menninga-fong, Chinese Progressive Association - SF 365. Robert Roth, Co-Founder, Haiti Action Committee 366. Megan Foronda, GABRIELA Los Angeles 367. Angela Vega, Gabriela LA 368. Michelle Foy, San Francisco, CA 369. Leslie Tran, VietUnity - East Bay, Oakland, CA 370. Kathy Nitsan, Long time resident of Berkeley 371. John Fernandez, UC Santa Cruz 372. Roxie Torres, GABRIELA Seattle 373. Jeffrey A. Ow, Professor, Berkeley City College 374.Carolyn Nguyen, Youth Organizer, Chinese Progressive Association 375. Jonathan Saturay, New York Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines 376. Caleb Matheny 377. Serena Matsumoto, San Francisco State University; League of Filipino Students at SFSU 378. mika hernandez, Asians4BlackLives 379. Ashley R. Suarez Chan, Network of Oberlin Asian Alumni 380. Jay Kim, Executive Director, National Lawyers Guild SF Bay Area 381. KC Ho, Community Organizer - SF Chinatown 382. Jane H. Yamashiro, Research Justice at the Intersections Fellow, Mills College 383. Joshua Laurel, University of California Berkeley, Class of 2020 384. Pathma Venasithamby, University of California Berkeley, Staff 385. Illyria Bitton, Student, University of San Francisco 386. Katherine Yagle, Bay area resident 387. Kelly Liu, Asian American Asian Diaspora Studies student at UC Berkeley 388. Sabiha Basrai, Alliance of South Asians Taking Action 389. Karly Feria, Gabriela-Seattle 390. Tiffany Riley, NYCHRP 391. Lorin Peters, UC Berkeley Alumnus, Nonviolence teacher, International Institute of Peace Studies 392. Rachel Gonzales-Vernon, Colorado State University, Ethnic Studies MA 393. Nancy Pham, UC Berkeley & Yale University Alumni/Asian Health Services 394. Zack Endoso, Bay Area resident/artist, Anakbayan East Bay 395. Daniel Domaguin, Sacramento Filipinx LGBTQIA 396. Nur Jannah Kaalim, Bay area resident 397. Audine Tayag, GABRIELA Los Angeles 398. Armael Malinis, University of California Davis Alumni and SF County Social Worker 399. Conrad Schmehl, University of California, Berkeley, Anthropology Undergraduate 400. Ramil Mercado, UC Berkeley, Undergrad
401. Jacqueline Rivera, Anakbayan Silicon Valley 402. Allyson Tintiangco-Cubales, Professor, San Francisco State University 403. Mikayla Konefal , Founding member Anakbayan Santa Cruz, undergrad of UCSC 404. Brian Rudnick, Activist 405. nicole gervacio, Liberation Spring, scholar406. Angel Fabre, Mills College: Rising junior college student 407. Swecha Thulasi, High Teacher 408. Joyce Xi, Bay Area resident 409. Drusilla Cowan, Community Operation, Survivor Alliance 410. Maha S Samuel, Merritt University 411. Kyle Mondina, Santa Clara University, student 412. Diana hanna, Concerned citizen 413. Lauren Sawyer, Bay Area Educator 414. Sofía Mendieta, Mills college 415. Nikole Cababa, BAYAN USA416. Tierra Allen, theatermaker, activist, and teaching artist, Occupied Huichin/Oakland, CA 417. Faye Caronan, Associate Professor, University of Colorado Denver 418. Denise Sicat Wong, UC Berkeley alumnus, Asian American and Asian Diaspora Studies 419. Joshua Anecito, Bay area high student 420. Blue Reyes, FLORIDA A&M UNIVERSITY 421. Jeremias David, Jeremias David, Migrante USA 422. Rev. Dr. Felicisimo Cao, Clergy, United Methodist Church 423. Maya Ochoa, League of Filipino Students424. Sheila Repunte, UC Berkeley, Undergraduate Student 425. Pauline Baltazar, FilAm at UC Davis 426. Jeremiah Lawson, Graduate Student in Sociology, UC Irvine 427. Hannah Lee, Chinese Progressive Association 428. Jeffrey Lau, Organizer and Resident of Bay Area 429. Erika Galera, Food Empowerment Project 430. Mary Hackney, Alumni of UH - Manoa, BSN 431. Lauren-Cecile Galang, UC Berkeley 432. Rachelle Villanueva, Anakbayan Silicon Valley 433. Katherine Pua, University of California Santa Cruz student 434. Edith Saldano, Anakbayan Santa Cruz, LGBTQ+ Chicanx Artist 435. Marino Leal Montoya, DeeJayMino 436. Melvin Tangonan, University of California, Berkeley/Associated Students University of California (ASUC) Pilipinx Community-Endorsed Senator Elect 2019-20* 437. Miguel Duarte, UC Berkeley alumnus 438. Emmanuel Lacadin, Concerned Artists of the Philippines Katipunan 439. Ruby Descalzo, Ateneo de Manila University 440. Arkin Frany, Writer 441. Beatriz Marques Undergraduate Student, Universidade de Lisboa 442. Raj Villarin, College of Communications, PUP 443. Micah Rimando, New York Institute of Technology, graduate student 444. Roma Estrada, Gantala Press, Manila, Philippines 445. Ginah Tran, UC Berkeley, Department of Geography 446. Ginnie Tran, UCLA 447. Gary Musa, MA Philosophy Program Student - DWMS 448. Dorynna Untivero, PhD Philippine Studies Candidate — University of the Philippines, Diliman 449. Roland Abinal Macawili, MA Philosophy Program Student - DWMS 450. Jessie Joshua Z. Lino, Manila Tytana Colleges, Pasay City 451. Roy V. Aragon, Ilokano writer and poet 452. Erik John Reyes, MA Philosophy Program Student - Ateneo de Davao University 453. John Venson Villareal, Instructor, University of the Philippines Diliman 454. Augusto Xavier Ledesma, Instructor, Department of English and Comparative Literature, University of the Philippines - Diliman 455. Jeoffrey Mhar Larua, Secretary-General, Tongtongan ti Umili-Cordillera Peoples Alliance, Baguio City 456. John Arvin Baygan, Graduate Student, Polytechnic University of the Philippines 457. Jomer Bongalos, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, BS Psychology graduate 458. Jasmine Ruth Albatana, Anakbayan PUP 459. Jasmine Ruth Albatana, Anakbayan PUP 460. Anthony Macarayan, Far Eastern University 461. Chip Berlet, Research for Progress 462. Vijay Prashad, Director, Tricontinental: Institute for Social Research463. Lily Ann Villaraza, City College of San Francisco, Department Chair of Philippine Studies 464. David Palumbo-Liu, Louise Hewlett Nixon Professor, Stanford University 465. Elaine Kim, Professor Emerita, Asian American and Asian Diaspora Studies, UC Berkeley466. Cathy J. Schlund-Vials, Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of English & Asian/Asian American StudiesUniversity of Connecticut467. Viet Thanh Nguyen, University Professor, University of Southern California