Institutional members are:
The following institutions, qualified as museums, are eligible to seek membership to ICOM:
1. Institutions designated as museums.
2. Natural, archaeological and ethnographic monuments and sites and historical monuments and sites with museum-related activities including acquisition, conservation, and making material evidence of peoples and their environment.
3. Institutions holding collections and displaying live specimens of plants and animals, such as botanical and zoological gardens, aquaria, and vivaria.
4. Science centers and planetaria.
5. Non-profit art galleries as well as conservation institutes and exhibition galleries maintained by libraries and archive centers.
6. Nature reserves.
7. National, regional, or local museum organizations as well as public agencies (ministries, departments or organizations) responsible for museums.
8. Non-profit institutions or organizations undertaking research in areas of conservation, education, training, documentation, as well as other activities relating to museums and museology.
9. Cultural centers and other institutions that facilitate the preservation, perpetuation and management of tangible and intangible heritage resources including living heritage and the creation of digital artefacts.