COMPETITION RULES• Entrants will be asked to submit a 500-word statement, in English, outlining an editorial or technical issue facing journalists and media organisations within the Commonwealth, together with a potential case for how it can be addressed using a mobile application or digital solution that they intend to create. The statement should be supported by ONE of the following:
– A PowerPoint (or similar) presentation of up to six slides– An audio file of up to five minutes in length– A video file of up to five minutes in length
Please note: Applicants will be asked to upload their video, audio or presentation slides to a file-sharing platform (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive), which is accessible to the judging panel via a single link.
• Six participating groups/individuals will be invited to present a webinar of their proposal to Thomson Foundation and its Commonwealth-wide independent judging panel. This will include a detailed Q&A session. First judging will take place in the week starting 22 May, 2019 and applicants must be available for a webinar presentation during this week.
• The most successful three, in the opinion of the judges, will be chosen to receive support and online mentoring by Thomson Foundation consultants over a four-month period, taking place from 3 June to 27 September, 2019. The mentoring will include free access to the Social Media Strategy course from Thomson Foundation's Journalism Now e-learning programme. The timing of virtual mentoring sessions will be scheduled wherever possible at the convenience of all participants but ultimately will be dependent on the availability of the mentor. All three competitors/competing groups will be invited to present the progress of their ideas in the last week of September to a panel of leading industry experts.
• The winning individual or group will be invited to spend a week in the UK in November, and will be given help to develop their mobile application or digital tool. If travel cannot be arranged during this period, the prize will have to go to the second most successful applicant or group.
• Applicants must submit their initial entry by midnight UK time on 3rd May, 2019. All submissions and presentations must be in English.
ENTRY CRITERIA• Applicants must be citizens of a Commonwealth member country, excluding the UK.• Entrants must be aged between 18 and 30, at the time of the competition deadline, which is 3 May, 2019.• The competition organisers may request documentation to verify an entrant’s age and employment status.• The competition is open to individuals and groups of up to three people.• First judging will take place in the week starting 22 May, 2019 and applicants must be available for a webinar presentation during that week.• The three groups/individuals chosen to take part in the four-month mentoring must be able to travel to the UK in November 2019.
FURTHER INFORMATIONVisit the Competition section of the website for further details: www.thomsonfoundation.org/competitions/elizabeth-r-media-fund/
For any queries relating to your application, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Questions marked with an * are mandatory.