"Summer in the City" High School Internship - Department Application for High School Interns: Summer 2012
The following application is for City departments and offices to request a High School intern for the summer. Please feel out the application completely and submit electronically by March 16, 2012.
The City's "Summer in the City" High School internship program is a 6-week paid summer internship program for Philadelphia high school students (sophomore to senior year) beginning in July 2012. The internship program is coordinate by the Philadelphia Youth Network's WorkReady program. One-hundred (100) high school interns will be placed in City departments and offices and will be assigned to various administrative and support tasks, while also participating in weekly workplace and leadership development trainings with the Philadelphia Youth Network. Intern salaries will be provided by the Philadelphia Youth Network and will not be the responsibility of the host department. The minimum weekly commitment for high school interns in the department is 16 hours/week with an additional 4 hours/week spent participating in workplace and leadership development activities on Fridays, outside of the department. These trainings are provided by the Philadelphia Youth Network.
Department expectations when hosting a High School Intern
- Each intern will be assigned to a supervisor, with no supervisor assigned more than two (2) interns.
- Each intern should also be assigned a mentor within the department (does not have to be the supervisor) who will meet with their intern on a weekly basis. Department mentors may be assigned up to five (5) interns.
- Department must identify space and supplies as well as appropriate work assignments for their intern.
- Department must obtain internet and email access for their intern (if necessary).
- Intern supervisors are required to participate in training in May 2012.
- Department supervisors and mentors must be available to host interns from early July 2012 to mid-August 2012.
- Department supervisors are required to sign weekly timesheets for their intern.
Interview and Selection Timeline
- First week of June 2012: Applicants are interviewed by the Office of Leadership Investment
- Mid-June 2012: Department notification of intern placement
- First week of July 2012: Program Start