Become a Student Leader in the Opportunities Abound Program!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITIES ABOUND PROGRAM:
This project joins together the offices and programs at Macalester that work with area youth and students of color, including Civic Engagement Center, Lealtad-Suzuki Center, MAX Center for Academic Excellence, Financial Aid, and the Admissions Office. It is our hope that you will join us in this effort through the Opportunities Abound Student Leadership program! More information available on the CEC website: http://www.macalester.edu/cec/civicleadershipprograms/opportunitiesabound/
As an O.A student leader you will be involved in our efforts to bring low-income, first-generation (to college), and minority students on to campus to increase their interest in post-secondary education. This goal will be accomplished through tours of Macalester, workshops throughout the tours focused on college-readiness/exploration, and student panels where our guests learn from our experience as current college students.
• Participate in O.A youth campus experiences
• Maintain communication with the College Access Issue Area Coordinator about involvement and training workshops
• Attend the training & reflection sessions (Only 3 a semester over the lunch hour when classes don't exist LUNCH PROVIDED)
• Be engaged with visiting youth to provide a positive on campus experience while encouraging their college exploration
• Eagerness to assist low-income/potential first generation college students gain access to higher education
• Excellent communication skills (Age appropriateness in particular)
• Ability to work well and respectfully with diverse types of people and a broad age range of youth participants
• Training & reflection sessions will be held the 1st Tuesday of each month for a Total of 3 Sessions. Content to include: developing multicultural competencies in working with youth, role of a mentor and boundary issues, college test preparation and application process, etc
• Volunteer 3 – 4 times per semester with campus visits. Visits run from 10am-1pm and students are able to select when and how long they would like to participate. There is no required length of time. In the end, most volunteers end up taking longer shifts because the tours are so much fun!
PLEASE NOTE - Applications received by September 28th, will receive the highest priority.